one

hwang hyunjin
when mr. jang told me i'd be staying at this stupid school for one more year because i failed last year, i was pretty disappointed. technically, it was their fault for not teaching me right. he had said that it was my  fault for not paying attention nor caring about my grades, but i had better things to worry about.

i was pretty pumped to find out that changbin and chan were staying here with me. it's not our fault we got invited to a bunch of parties and failed school. 'that's the consequence we get for our actions', stupid mr. jang had told me.

i can't believe he had the audacity to say it to my face! all of my other senior friends had successfully gone to do whatever they desire while i was stuck in this stupid school.

all of the new seniors looked like little kids, and the freshman looked like they just came out of first grade.

i squirmed around mr. jangs classroom chair, visibly uncomfortable. "it would help if you weren't so popular and you studied more, hyunjin." he said in his raspy voice. i rolled my eyes.

"my parents are barely around, so don't go running to them." i smirked. it was true, they were always on business trips and whatever. 

"i spoke to your parents yesterday. they sounded furious." mr. jang said, folding his hands together onto the table. he leaned forward. "do better this year. that's all i ask of you." his hot coffee breath was disgusting.

"'kay, whatever." i got up from the chair and dashed my way out of that stupid office.

but then i realized, maybe the popularity was getting too much. all of my friends were wildly popular too, so i couldn't ask them questions on how to be a loser.

✰✰✰✰✰
lim hana
mom handed me plate of cookies she had made me a couple hours earlier. "hani, we are so proud of you."

"mom, when are you going to stop calling me hani? you named me hana." i pushed my glasses up. they ended up falling down my nose again, like they always did.

"never." she grinned, stealing a cookie from my plate. "you are such a good student." 

"you've told me a million times. i wish i was popular, like those boys at school." 

"didn't you hear? they all got held back. i don't want you to be like that, hani." mom frowned and held my hands in hers. 

"i could keep my grades up and be popular! it's called management." i took my hands out of hers.

"when i went to school and we all graduated, the popular ones ended up on the streets. trust me." mom shrugged and took my hands back. "you know i want the best for you, hani." she stroked them with her thumb.

"i want to be that person that everyone falls in love with. but i just can't!" i complained. i threw my hands up in the air.

"well, maybe that life is not meant for you." 

mom was the type of mom that does not yell at her children. instead, she'd give them lectures on how doing bad things wasn't good. it was always the same 'you'd end up on the streets begging for food.' type lecture. she was the type of mom that sends me inspirational quotes that she found on facebook. those never worked.

"i could make it meant for me." i stood up and put my hand on my heart. "i, lim hana--not lim hani--, will be wildly popular this year." 

"i didn't raise you like this," mom frowned. i could tell she was disappointed, but she has to support me in all of my decisions, like when i got those hideous bangs in the 7th grade and she supported me all the way through.