four

hwang hyunjin
i sat on the bench in front of the go-mart after school, hoping hana would show up. what if she didn't hear me correctly? what if she just ditched me? i thought of every single worst case scenario that can happen.

i looked around, in hopes of finding her. there'd been times where i thought that someone was hana, but it was just another person. suddenly, everybody looks like her.

i finally spotted her running toward me, out of breath and panting like a dog. 

"hurry up because i don't have much time. i've got piano lessons in, like, ten minutes." she told me with her hands on her knees. she was sweating like crazy. i wouldn't blame her, it's hotter than normal out here.

"i have a super weird offer," i sighed. "and i wish i could go to someone else but you're the best person to ask." 

"you want me to tutor you? 'cause the answer is no." she rolled her eyes and began to walk away, but i got up and snatched her hand.

"hana, my grades are slipping." i begged. "mr. jang suggested i become...less popular. but i don't know who to ask, so i figured you could tutor me on how to be a...loser?" 

"just because i'm unpopular doesn't mean i'm a loser." she slipped her hand out of mine and walked away again. 

"is that a no?!" i shouted to her.

hana turned back around angrily. "fine, i'll tutor you on how to be a 'loser', but there's one condition." 

of course.

she smirked. "you tutor me on how to be popular."

✰✰✰✰✰
lim hana
i went home with two new things today. THE hwang hyunjin's number---which only chan and changbin have---and a bag of doritos.

i wasn't bragging or anything. we made a deal.

he told me to come over to his house---which is rumored to be a freaking mansion---and tutor him. it was all hard work, but i was getting 'paid.'

mom opened the door for me with a happy and bright smile. she had my phone in her hands. 

"hey hani. i decided to give you back your phone because you're just such a good student. also why didn't you come earlier?" mom asked me with a suspicious look.

"mom, it was only like ten minutes. piano starts in five so i'm all good." i shrugged it off. 

"hana, i know it's the year where you begin to mature and..." her eyes trailed away from me. "...you make choices..." 

"it was TEN MINUTES!" i stomped my way upstairs, furious that she assumed i did that! 

"well, you're eighteen! get used to it!" she shouted at me from downstairs. 

mom was so annoying.

i punched hyunjin's number into my contacts and texted him. 

hwang hyunjin

me
hey, it's hana.

hyunjin
whats up

me
nothing, what about you?

hyunjin
boutta go shower

me
cool

and that was the end of our very first text conversation. it was basic, but off to a good start.