two

hwang hyunjin
as i entered the school, i got looks from everyone. some hated my guts, others loved me. i was self-aware of how much of an impact i have on this school.

a girl that looked as if she was a new freshman approached me. "wow, you're so tall!" she said to me, craning her neck upward. i've gotten that so many times, it's annoying. "i'm kim chaeyeon." she smiled and grabbed my hand without my permission.

i had no choice but to shake it. her palms were sweaty and she gripped my hand so hard it was uncomfortable.

changbin walked in on me and the girl shaking hands. he stopped in his tracks. "hyunjin, i didn't know you were dating a freshman! isn't that illegal?" changbin asked me.

"yeah, we're dating." the snarky little freshman had said. i didn't care to know her name or anything.

"no, we're not. get your sweaty little hands off of me, minor. i'm not tryna' get arrested." i pulled my hand away from her. she groaned and took my hand back. 

i realized that she had gotten uncomfortably close to me. "look, i know i'm a freshman, but nobody has to know."

changbin let out an 'ew' and i walked away with him. every single person i walked past was hung up on my beauty.

except for one girl. she had glasses and curtain bangs. i'll admit it, she was pretty, but i didn't know her name.

she walked around with textbooks in her arms, pushing up her glasses every 10 seconds.

i knew that she knew my name. i'd seen her at many events, there's no way she couldn't have seen me and ignored me.

then, it hit me. 

Lim Hana was her name.

✰✰✰✰✰
lim hana
i walked past one of the popular boys, hwang hyunjin, holding hands with a freshman. i'd pay money to unsee that. his sidekick, changbin, looked pretty disgusted at the sight of it and i caught a glimpse of hyunjin pulling away from her.

he walked away from her and i could tell the freshman had the urge to chase after him, but she forced herself not to. i wouldn't have even approached him if i were her. anyway, i'm supposed to be popular this year.

but how? everyone just knows me as boring hana, nerd hana, or just hana. not cute hana, popular hana, or the prettiest girl in the school.

the only time i had talked to someone popular was hyunjin's other sidekick, chan. chan was a pretty caring person and didn't care much about popularity, but was still involved in the popular things like partying and drinking. he smiled every time i made eye contact with him which made me mildly uncomfortable.

i had 30 minutes until school began, so i parked myself onto a table and sat there. i admired the pretty sky on this cold morning.

my best friend, felix, approached me with a big hug.

"you look so bored." felix reminded me, settling himself next to me. "where's your phone? you're always on it."

"mom took it away for the first week so i could focus on my studies. she says phones are for the dumb and rot my brain." i rolled my eyes at what i had just said. felix chuckled.

"she's just looking out for you, hana." he smiled. "did you hear? hyunjin, chan, and changbin got held back. by the way, i met a friend over the summer. we live in the same neighborhood. his name's minho."

"does he go here?" i asked felix while i set my textbooks beside me. felix nodded, pointing to a boy at the bench across from ours. 

"minho!" he shouted. minho looked away from his other friend, which i had noticed was han jisung, and came over to us.

"oh, hey felix. you're...nerd hana? jisung told me all about you." 

i scowled. there was no way i was going to make it to the top this year. felix had scowled too when i caught a glimpse at his face.

"are you not nerd hana? sorry, i'm new here." minho had apologized. 

"give me a dollar and i'll forgive you." 

almost immediately, he pulled a crumpled dollar bill out of his pocket and handed it to me. "i'm all forgiven, right?"

"eh..." i grunted, giving him a playful smirk. "you got any more dollars on you?"

minho pulled the insides of his pocket out. "nope." 

i shrugged. he probably wont ever be making me mad again.