nine

hwang hyunjin
hana looked at me as if i was the stupidest person ever. 

"i can't just move here. i'd have to pay rent." she said, flexing her fingers. "and...your parents. what would you tell them?"

would my parents really care? i mean, i'm nineteen and i still live in their house but they're always away so why would the need to care?

"calling them wouldn't hurt, but you'll be talking." i threw my phone at her and she caught it. she looked at me, her eyes telling me she's uncomfortable. "or don't..." i continued. i took the phone from her and dialed my moms number. 

she picked up almost immediately. "hello?"

"mom, i have a favor." i said, giving a thumbs up to hana. she began anxiously cracking her fingers.

"yes, sweetie? do you need money?" 

"no, mom. i've got a friend here and she wants to move in." i cleared my throat. "she's...my tutor."

indistinct whispering came on the phone, followed by my dad's voice. 

"your mother and i have decided she can move in," my father sighed. "but you'll be paying for her."

"'kay, no problem. thanks." i hung up the phone and gave hana a high five. but then, she stopped.

"my mom still didn't officially kick me out yet." she bit her lip, looking around.

"so what? you're eighteen, just move out." i shrugged.

i could read her thoughts like a book. she was definitely worried about her mother.

"you're lucky you have parents like that. my mom is so annoying. she's worried about me every second she breathes." hana chuckled. she pushed her glasses up her nose.

"live here. you'll have this beautiful," i stretched my arms out. "multiple bedroom and bathroom mansion with a jacuzzi in the back." 

"i'll consider it." hana grinned.

✰✰✰✰✰
lim hana
if i went home now, mom would kill me. i always said i wanted a mom that yells, but mom isn't going lecture me this time. 

i showed hyunjin all the angry texts she's sent me. 

mom

mom
i can't believe i had such a disrespectful daughter

mom
i didn't raise you like this

mom
get home this instant!

mom
18 years of raising you and you turn out like this

"you know, if you never approached me in the hall, this never would've happened." i threw my hands up in the air. everything came down to hyunjin.

it was all his fault my mom was about to kill me. lucky him, his parents weren't even around.

"why do you want to be like me anyway? being a loser isn't fun." 

hyunjin thought about what i said for a moment. "i've never really made my parents happy. they're always mad about my grades, my reputation, and everything i do. i figured if i become like you, they'll be...proud of me."

his statement hit me like a truck. "oh." 

that was all i could say.

i was lucky to have a mom like mine because she was always proud of me.

well, except for now. i laughed at my thoughts.

"why do you want to be so popular? being popular isn't fun either. you get to have people all over you and whatnot." he asked me.

honestly, i didn't really know why. why did i want to be popular?

"i wanted people to like me." i bit my lip. "hanging out with you has made me realize that it's not always that good. we're all going to grow up anyway."

"so, i taught you a lesson." he smirked. "just don't become me."

"if i hang out with you, i'm eventually going to turn into you." i told him. he shrugged.

he didn't reply to me. was i making a mistake? hanging out with him was bound to end up bad.

we sat there in silence. his eyes narrowed down to my lips.

"i really like you, hana." 

where did that come from?

he leaned toward me and kissed me.

the hwang hyunjin.

kissed me.