5: Delusional Decisions

"He owes you a what?" Castor sputtered, his eyes shifting between Kaiden and Aila in shock

"He owes you a what?" Castor sputtered, his eyes shifting between Kaiden and Aila in shock. He looked at Aila for an explanation, but she merely took a bite of her breakfast. When he met Kaiden's gaze, daring him to clarify his own doubts, Kaiden lifted a shoulder in a shrug.

"I-" Castor stammered. "Aila, for the love of the stars, will you please tell me what's going on?"

"That's a good question," Aila mused, licking the breakfast off her fingers casually. "What are you doing here, Ashwood?" Her inquisitive green eyes landed upon him, with multiple questions simmering in them.

Kaiden didn't answer, still staring at her with an emotion that was difficult to identify. He shoved his hands in his pockets and leaned against the brick wall to his side, the portrait of nonchalance.

Aila's brain began to sprint. If he wasn't going to cooperate with his answers, she would simply have to come to a conclusion herself about what he was doing here, and why he'd appeared so quickly after the letter had come. If he had indeed heard about the letter and had come to discover something, he must have travelled the plains on horseback with minimal breaks to have reached in a day. 

Envy bubbled up within her at the thought of her rival kingdom owning such a majestic creature. Though Merelia shone in it's own way and had resources that Perador did not have, her kingdom did not have horses. It was a fact that left her feeling bitter and was the only aspect of Perador that awoke jealousy.

"Where's your horse?" Aila glanced around, masking the strange mix of bitterness and excitement that coated her tongue.

At this, Kaiden raised his eyebrows before pushing off the wall and turning the corner where Aila had initially ventured and bumped into him. He emerged a minute later, leading a black stallion at his side. The horse was sleek and beautiful, with strong muscles and a wise face. Despite the long journey it had no doubt undergone, it looked fresh and alert, it's gaze darting around it's new surroundings curiously. 

Awe settled in Aila's veins, and she marvelled at the majestic creature. She reached a hand out tentatively and stroked it, loving the fact that it nuzzled against her despite having never met her before. Animals had always held a special place in her heart; they were filled with unconditional love and held so much trust for everyone they met. They kept that trust unless they were given a reason not to.

"What's his name?" She murmured, temporarily giving Kaiden a reprieve from the questioning.

"Kallias."

Aila hugged the horse, drawing strength from the solid creature. She kissed the horse once, before turning to it's irritating owner with an expression once again void of emotion.