36: Family Bonds

Cold air hit Aila like a slap to the face; she groaned as she sat up, pulling her sleeping bag up as if it would help to combat the chill

Cold air hit Aila like a slap to the face; she groaned as she sat up, pulling her sleeping bag up as if it would help to combat the chill. The dragon, who had taken her under his wing, had shifted and retracted his fire powers. He now regarded her with a small smile.

"Sleep well?"

"Very, thank you," Aila replied earnestly.

He nodded and then took off into the sky to fetch them breakfast. When he returned, they started to eat.

"So," Aila began, raising an eyebrow. "What are you going to push me off today?"

Ember smirked. "Why ruin the surprise?"

Aila rolled her eyes but couldn't stop the grin that appeared.

I'm here to catch you, to protect you.

With a sudden start, she realised that The Dragon Temple truly felt like home, that Ember truly felt like family. It seemed so strange, especially considering that they had only known each other for two days, and didn't know anything of importance about one another.

She stared at the walls around her, the displays that held so many stories that she didn't know yet. Her gaze fell to the marble floor she was currently sitting on, at the different intricate pictures of the dragons there.

"What's the history of The Dragon Temple?" She asked quietly.

Ember leaned against a pillar.

"Why do you ask?" His eyebrows were furrowed, unable to understand the sudden change of conversation.

Aila shrugged noncommittally, feeling embarrassed to voice her thoughts. Ember's bright red eyes locked on hers, and he must've read the importance of her question within her expression  because he replied.

"This place is where the first shooting star ever landed," he murmured. "Our power comes from the stars." A pause. "I come from the stars, as do you. You belong here Aila. This is your home."

As he mentioned home, Aila thought of her own many miles away. She sat up straighter, her eyes alight with worry and disbelief.

"My home... my kingdom..." Ember watched on silently.

She couldn't believe she had forgotten to keep them updated. This place had been a sort of haven for her, one in which no worries had found her and she had merely been enjoying exploring her new powers with her new friend.

"My family will be so worried! Perador might not have the chalice but if my parents learn that Kaiden made it back..."

"I can get a message to them," Ember replied calmly. He produced a piece of paper and a pen before handing them to Aila.

She scribbled a hasty message, letting them know she was safe and that she'd be back as soon as she could. She explained that the chalice was a myth but the journey wasn't a waste, as she had made a friend and that she would be staying with them for a while before she made it back. She didn't include any other details.