21: Calm Before The Storm

A distant memory of a dream hovered just outside of Aila's reach, indistinguishable

A distant memory of a dream hovered just outside of Aila's reach, indistinguishable. An odd sensation had settled in her gut and though she could remember the emotions she had felt, she couldn't remember anything except a distinct flash of the colour purple. Irritation had been evident ever since she had awoken.

"Is everything okay?" Castor spoke quietly, concern present in his warm brown eyes.

"Yes," Aila muttered in response.

The early-morning sun was still rising, failing to combat the chill hanging in the air. The trio and Kallias, had left the forest half an hour ago and were now trekking across a seemingly endless field.

"You've been frowning all morning. Something is wrong and I want you to tell me what's happening."

Aila shot a fleeting glance Kaiden's way, having an instinctive feeling that her dream somehow involved him. She didn't know whether he had helped her, annoyed her, or done something else entirely. She hated forgetting things.

"I had a dream last night."

"About what?"

"I don't know," frustration lined her tone. "But it was strange."

"If you cannot remember, it's probably not important," Kaiden interjected.

Aila's frown deepened.

"Would you change your mind if I told  you that you were part of it?" She raised an eyebrow.

"You were dreaming of me?" Kaiden's eyes widened and his eyebrows shot up in surprise.

"What? No! I can't remember!" Aila threw her hands up in irritation, unable to believe the way in which her tongue had slipped.

"Ah well, let me assure you that if I were in your dream, you would not forget it," Kaiden wore a smug smile, and Aila rolled her eyes.

"And let me assure you that if that were the case, I would most definitely want to forget it," she responded.

Amusement danced in Kaiden's gaze, but he didn't reply further.

"Hey Kaiden, do you believe in magic?" Castor changed the topic suddenly.

A flash of surprise passed over Kaiden's face, but it was gone almost immediately.

"That's an interesting question," he mused.

"Indeed."

Aila clamped her mouth shut, not wanting to say anything she shouldn't. She wanted to punch Cas, but the heir of Perador didn't appear angry or annoyed by her friend's question.

"Aila told you, didn't she?" He sighed.

"Yes," Castor conceded. "I also have excellent deductive skills."

"How so?" Kaiden raised an eyebrow.

"I have magic of my own," Cas smiled mysteriously. After a pause, he spoke again. "Can I see what you can do?"

Kaiden wordlessly held his hands out in front of him, as if he were holding a ball. Only it wasn't a ball that was there, but a sphere of fire. Pure red blazed in his palm, illuminating his face and highlighting the reverence in his unique Ashwood eyes as he beheld his own power.

"Woah," Castor breathed. "How often do you practice?"

"Not often," Kaiden shrugged. "I've had to play around a bit because I never had a teacher or anything."

An endearing image of a baby Kaiden literally playing with fire flashed before Aila's vision before she quickly shook it out of her head.

"Were you born with it?" Cas asked.

"Yes," Kaiden replied. "I don't know how it happened though."

Aila opened her mouth to speak, but a sudden tremor racked through the ground, sending her rocking back on her feet and crashing into Castor.

"Woah, what was that?" She asked in shock, feeling the ground tremble  beneath her feet.

"I don't know," Castor's eyes were wide as a shadow loomed above them, blocking the sun and plunging them into darkness.

"I believe I do," Kaiden said grimly. "The-"

He was cut off by a loud screech, followed by the sound of large wings flapping. A shape advanced towards them, appearing menacing even from a distance. Aila's heart was in her throat as she saw the sharp claws, even sharper fangs and large spiky tail that could easily impale her with one swish. It had a wrath in it's eyes that spoke of vengeance, as if the trio had acted personally against it and were it's enemy.

Kallias whinied in fear and pawed the ground. Though Aila didn't dare take her eyes off the approaching beast, she was vaguely aware that Kaiden had spurred into action. He unclipped the rucksacks from the stallion's back and dropped them on the ground. He stroked the horse's mane and held it's face, gazing into it's frightened eyes and murmuring reassurances. He laid a kiss on the top of Kallias' head and turned around again, placing himself in front of his steed, unsheathing his sword and facing the winged creature.

It landed two hundred metres in front of them, towering over them so much that Aila almost had to look directly up in order to look at the creature's face.

Her heart skipped a beat.

"What in the world?" She spoke under her breath, feeling tongue tied.

"What in the stars is that?" Cas echoed, his voice having taken on a fearful tone that she had never heard from him before.

But it was Kaiden who spoke solemnly, his words sending a flash of dread shooting through her body.

"I believe the first trial has begun."

Here we go! :)

Here we go! :)

~ MaddyWilson 💙