40: Waterfalls and Wishes

A gradient of reds, oranges and yellows stained the sky

A gradient of reds, oranges and yellows stained the sky. The air was frigid, but when she was on Ember's back with his wings cutting through distance, the breeze seemed to caress Aila's cheeks. As she clutched the dragon's spike, a grin settled on her face and her laughter carried away on the wind.

He had suggested an evening amongst the clouds in order to kill time. Aila had lost track of time, but the setting sun indicated that it had been more than two hours. The muscles in her face hurt from having smiled so much, but Aila truly didn't think she would ever get fed up of flying.

When Ember landed on the riverbank where she had awakened her powers, he bowed low, allowing Aila to dismount. He shifted into a human, grinning at her, with hair as windswept as hers and a wildfire alight within his eyes.

"If I had wings, I would never stop flying," she sighed, the memory of flight still shining through her smile.

"It's hard for us to stop," Ember agreed, running a hand through his hair. A fond smile grew on his face as he continued speaking. "When we were naughty as children, our parents literally used to ground us, revoking our flight privileges. We would always grow restless and cause even more trouble, so it would never be in effect for long, but it was... it's a good memory."

Aila squeezed his shoulder softly.

"What are we doing here?"

They had plans to train the following day, which usually meant that he'd encourage rest in order for her powers to replenish. Their normal evening routine consisted of some conversation and banter, before sleep would eventually call for their company.

"I believe you're in need of a shower."

Aila punched him, indignance stirring within her stomach.

"That was unnecessary," the dragon chided. He rubbed his arm, but from the muscle that Aila had felt, her fist was probably in more pain. "Relax, I also want to show you something."

Aila glared at him, but he merely plastered on a cheeky grin before he somersaulted off the riverbank and dove into the water.

"Come in Spark!" He called, with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"It'll be freezing," Aila complained.

Ember smirked. He began to conjure a ball of water. It hovered in the air above the river, and Aila's jaw dropped as he morphed it into a ball of ice. Rock hard ice. He winked at her.

"Okay okay, I'll come in," Aila glared at him. She stepped out of her boots and tentatively put a foot into the river. A hiss escaped her at the chill, but it became an ear-splitting scream as cold shock suddenly slammed into her body.