8: Talk Fire To Me

There was a mix of vulnerability and steel in Kaiden's gaze as he showed her who he really was, exposing a secret that not many people knew about him

There was a mix of vulnerability and steel in Kaiden's gaze as he showed her who he really was, exposing a secret that not many people knew about him. Despite having dropped his guards, his lack of fear told Aila that he was comfortable and confident in his own skin, accepting himself and not afraid to show the unnatural powers he held.

The power he was currently offering to make her more comfortable.

Aila shuffled closer to the ball of heat blazing in his palm, tentatively reaching out to touch it. A searing pain burned her palm and she recoiled, hissing at the wound it had inflicted.

"It's real fire," she gazed at him in wonder.

Kaiden didn't reply. He didn't need to. She had felt for herself how real the heat emanating from him was, could see the scald his powers had left behind on her skin. He didn't ask how her hand was, though his eyes flicked to it in concern.

His shields were still down, and his gaze was soft as he studied her in the light of his own fire.

"You have magic," Aila whispered.

"Yes," Kaiden responded. He extinguished the fireball, but heat was still radiating from him, and Aila leaned closer, closing the distance between them.

"This means nothing," she glared at him, fighting the urge to use the only heat source in the room as a pillow.

Kaiden chuckled, relief taking over his tension. "As you wish."

"Do you have any other powers?" She murmured.

"No," he replied. "Just fire."

"Were you born with it?"

"Yes," Kaiden responded.

"How-"

"I don't know," Kaiden interrupted quietly. "Do you have any magic?"

Aila didn't want to say no. It felt like giving him an advantage, and her ego couldn't take that. But he had exposed himself for her, had seen her shivering and known that he could help. She didn't believe that merited a lie.

"No," she admitted. After a brief silence, a question arose in her mind. "What do you use it for?" Aila asked, wondering if a prince, someone who's life was already so luxurious and comfortable, would use powers to further avoid having to do work.

"What can I do?" He shrugged, seemingly defeated. "I've tried imbuing it in objects... blankets, jewellery, even clothes, just to make the town homes warmer. But I don't know how to. It has never worked."

It was the most he'd spoken at once, since having met her near the elanir stall. Frustration had marred his features, furrowing his brow. Aila could see the love he had for Perador shine in him; it mirrored the love she had for Merelia, that driving force that would lead her to give anything and everything in order for her people to be happy, safe, comfortable.

"You'd give them your power." It wasn't a question, but Kaiden still nodded.

"I'd only give my power for my family and for my home," Kaiden said. "Nothing more, nothing less."

"Only those?" She raised an eyebrow, inquisitiveness prodding her to get answers now that he was speaking.

Right then in the darkness, under what were now warm blankets, Aila could almost pretend that she wasn't on a dangerous quest, far from home. She could almost pretend that she wasn't currently sharing a bed and being civil with someone she had been taught to despise.

"Only those," Kaiden confirmed. "I don't love much else."

Aila understood. There was a lot that she also had, that she would not sacrifice for anything other than her parents and for her own subjects.

Kaiden blinked, as if just realising who he was talking to and where he was. Exhaustion was evident on his features, having built up over the day that he had spent travelling between Perador and Merelia. "It's getting late and Castor will change shifts soon so we should get some sleep."

Aila made an incoherent sound of agreement.

"Oh, Kaiden?"

"Mm?" He acknowledged. His eyes were already closed but in the dark, Aila could've sworn she saw a small smile settle on his lips.

"This doesn't cancel out the life debt you owe me."

Kaiden chuckled softly, and Aila found the sound relaxed her, washing away all the remaining tension in her body.

"I know," he whispered in reply.

Hiya guys! Hope you all are doing well and that you've had a great morning, day, night, wherever you are! If you enjoyed this update, please vote and let me know your thoughts! :)

These chapters go out to someone who's dealing with finals right now and is still taking the time to read, vote and comment! I had you in mind as I wrote this and I hope you love it as much as I love and appreciate you!

Fun fact: this chapter was originally not called talk fire to me... 😉

~ MaddyWilson 💙