23: The Aftermath

Castor's heart quite literally skipped a beat

Fear gripped him as he saw Aila fall, as he saw her lying motionless on the ground, mere metres away from the creature. He could hear Kaiden from where he stood; the desperation in his voice was clear, and it amplified Castor's  anxiety all the more.

Instinctively, he dropped the bow and arrow where he stood and began sprinting. He reached Aila and a lump appeared in his throat as he beheld her state: her bloody arm, her closed eyes, her almost feverish appearance.

Almost in a plea, he whirled on his feet, hoping that Kaiden wasn't in a similar situation. He watched in awe as Perador's heir now sat on the creature's head, balancing gracefully despite it trying to shake him off. Kaiden raised his sword high above his head, and with a yell of defiant rage, a yell that would shatter whole barriers, he brought the blade down into the beast's eye.

Castor flinched, but he could not look away.

The creature reared backwards, shrieking in pain. It swayed on it's feet before they gave way underneath it, and it collapsed into a heap on the floor.

Kaiden didn't waste a second. He jumped down from it's head, now only a few metres above the ground. Cas' worry seemed to propel him forward, and he dropped to his knee beside Aila, agony in his clear blue eyes.

"No no no no no, Aila no, please no," Kaiden begged.

"I... she... what do we do?" Cas asked in a panic.

Kaiden tugged at his hair in frustration, glancing around him as if a saviour would magically appear. At last, he brought his gaze back to Aila and determination settled in his features.

He looped an arm below her knees and supported her back with the other one.

"I'll clean her arm and wrap it again," Kaiden murmured. "I have painkillers in case she wakes up. We can't waste time so she'll ride Kallias until she's okay."

Castor nodded, trying not to acknowledge the fact that his future queen's rival was currently carrying her bridal style. He tried to imagine her reaction if she saw what he was seeing; he figured she'd probably punch him for allowing it to happen.

They reached the rucksacks and Castor watched in surprise as Kallias nuzzled Kaiden, before stepping aside and allowing his owner to gently place Aila down. Even more astonishment hit him at the way Kaiden cleaned the wound with immense care and wrapped it with another of his clean shirts, a profound concentration in the furrow of his brows.

"What now?" Castor asked, as Kaiden finished and stared at Aila, as if his gaze alone would bring her back to conciousness.

A pause.

"We have to keep moving. I'll get her on Kallias," Kaiden replied, rubbing the stubble that was growing on his chin. He glanced at Castor, then hesitantly spoke again, looking as if he wished he were saying something different. "You mentioned your legs are hurting. You can ride with her and make sure she doesn't fall."

"And you?"

"I'll walk," came the reply.

"My legs aren't hurting that much," Castor spoke slowly. "You take her first if you'd like and we can swap over when you want."

Castor didn't think he imagined the relief that flickered in Kaiden's eyes.

The other heir nodded, and mounted Kallias with Aila in his arms, placing her in front of him and wrapping his arms around her protectively. Her weight was leaning back on him, but he didn't seem to mind. Castor tied the rucksacks to the horse's back, patting it a few times at it nuzzled against him with affection.

With a sombre cloud now hanging over the group, they began moving again at a slower pace. Kaiden regularly asked Castor if he was well.

There was mostly silence for the rest of the day. It made Castor realise just how much life Aila brought to the group, with the way she talked constantly, asked questions, told stories. Her current state not only put a damper on the two men's mood, but also the horse beside him.

He gazed at his friend, hoping he'd see green soon. As Kaiden held her in his arms and glanced down at her, the intensity in his own blue eyes seemed to hope the same.

They didn't end up swapping with holding her, but Castor was fine with that. It felt wrong to make Kaiden walk when it was his steed in the first place. Where morality and court behaviour was concerned, it would've been highly unconventional to do so.

As night began to fall, they agreed to set up camp in the middle of the field. Kaiden dismounted, still holding Aila and he set her down carefully beside the tent before he moved to feed and care for his horse.

Castor carried his queen into the tent, tucked her into her sleeping bag and knelt before her. The worry was beginning to amplify; she should've woken up by now.

Kaiden opened the tent flap and peered in, concern evident in his eyes.

"Do you want to take watch?" He asked. "I can keep an eye on her."

"No," Castor said firmly. "You take watch tonight. I'll be here."

Leaving Aila alone with Kaiden when she was concious wasn't dangerous, because she could take care of herself. However, when she was unaware and unable to fight, he would be there to protect her.

It was the reason he came.

"Goodnight Kaiden," he said grimly, before he pulled the tent flap closed and turned another worried glance towards his queen.

"Stars Aila," he murmured. "Please wake up soon."

Hellooo! How is everyone today?

Tomorrow's Sunday and I'm sad because I've got too much homework to do. Today was one of those days where I just didn't have the motivation to get anything done. Here's to hoping tomorrow is better!

I hope you all have a great day or night, wherever you are!

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed. :)

~ MaddyWilson 💙