13: When Four Became Two

"What was that about?!" Castor exclaimed after half a minute of utter silence

"What was that about?!" Castor exclaimed after half a minute of utter silence. "That was totally unnecessary!"

He seemed offended by Aila's words on Kaiden's behalf, though she couldn't comprehend why. A fear entered his features, concern for Kaiden and the consequences her words would hold.

Aila opened her mouth to speak but no words came out.

Guilt was gripping her heart, ever-present in her mind. She couldn't dispel the image of Kaiden's face when her words had found their mark. It didn't even seem like he had desired to demean Merelia; there was even a glimmer in his eyes at her challenge, a glimmer that spoke of wanting to share some quick witted repartée with her.

He'd trusted her with a part of him, and she'd thrown it right back in his face.

"I just... it... I feel terrible," she groaned. "I thought he was insulting Merelia and my pride just..."

Castor's eyes softened as he registered her state, as he observed the panic and regret that was overwhelming her.

"Hey, it's okay..." he put an arm around her and pulled her into a half hug as they continued walking. "We'll catch up with him soon, and we'll make this right."

"He won't stick around," she kicked the sand up in frustration, watching as it flew everywhere. She would've marvelled at the phenomenon if her emotions weren't crashing around within her like a storm. "He's probably long gone now."

"I'm sure our paths will cross again," Cas said, attempting to reassure her.

Aila scoffed. "We're on the same path, idiot."

Cas smiled self-conciously and ran a hand through his hair. "Yes well, you know what I mean."

Aila lightly bumped his shoulder with hers. As they crested the dune, she really hoped Kaiden was waiting for them, having come back to express his anger. Instead, her heart sank as she saw the silhouette of a beautiful stallion galloping further away, kicking up sand as Kallias' powerful muscles propelled the two of them forward.

Wanting to change the track her mind had taken, she turned to look at her best friend. At the pensive look on his face, she smiled.

"You look thoughtful. I'm kind of worried."

"Oh shut up," Cas laughed.

"No no I'm being serious, we wouldn't want you to injure yourself before the trials begin."

"Aila," Castor regained a solemn tone. He appeared to be finding the words to express his thoughts. Even when he finally found them, they were tentative, hesitant. "What did you mean when you said Kaiden tried to put magic in items?"

Aila froze.

Cas stopped too, but when Aila's shock had subsided, she sighed and continued walking. She ran a hand through her hair in frustration. It was messy and tangled, honestly unacceptable for a princess, but she couldn't care less.