29: The Third Trial

Sunlight filtered through the two tents much earlier than Aila would have liked

Sunlight filtered through the two tents much earlier than Aila would have liked. After the second trial the previous day, the group was in need of a longer rest. They didn't even have the energy to speak about what they'd faced yet. Aila, Kaiden and Castor had all arrived within roughly fifteen minutes of each other, and it was clear their trials had simultaneously been very different and yet also very similar.

Castor didn't even take watch through the night; they were quite literally in the middle of nowhere and didn't think the possibility of a threat was likely.

"We have to start early," Kaiden's voice broke through the thin fabric separating them.

"Why?" Aila groaned as she rolled over, accidentally slapping a sleeping Castor beside her. At last, he had slept; she thought it was remarkable that he'd survived so long without having had a decent night's rest.

"Because we have to conquer that today," Kaiden replied, in a sombre tone.

Curiosity washed over Aila and she unzipped the tent flap before peeking out. She sharply inhaled at the sight before her.

They were at the edge of a large field, just out of the way of the maze's exit. In the middle of the field, about two kilometres away, was the base of a mountain, with steep steps carved into the rough rock. Clouds concealed the peak from view, but from what Aila could see, the climb was a long one.

"The third trial," she whispered, feeling the beginning of exhaustion begin to grip her.

Kallias flashed in her mind and she vowed to herself that once Merelia won the war, she'd introduce horses to her kingdom.

"No point in wasting time," Kaiden spoke as he took a bite of his sandwich. "Unless you want to be climbing down that in the dark?"

"Absolutely not," Aila shook her head. "Cas," she slapped his arm. "Wake up."

She wasn't surprised when his eyes opened immediately and he sat up, registering his surroundings for a minute before reaching into his bag.

The three of them had finished eating, packed away their kit and were approaching the base of the mountain within fifteen minutes.

"The trial of the spirit," Kaiden murmured as they reached the first step. They had left their rucksacks at the edge of the field, and only carried some food and water in their jacket pockets. "Pace yourselves. Don't burn out. It's designed to make people give up."

"Do you have any idea how many steps there are?" Aila breathed, gazing up in wonder and wishing the clouds would part. This would be much easier if she could see her destination.

"Myths say one hundred thousand."

Stars.

"In that case," she began to climb. "I'll see you at the top, Ashwood."