chapter 9

1 week later

3rd person:
Ever since what had happened in the medical room, Natasha had slowly started to try stay away from wanda. Not so much that it was noticeable but enough so she wouldn't freak out again. She hated feeling that way about people. Although she had never recognised that it was a crush, looking back now she knew she had had one before. It was a long time ago and didn't last long.

After these thoughts continued in her head she left the training room and went to the common room. As soon as she stepped out of the elevator she met eyes with her one and only ex, Maria hill.  What was she doing here? She was confused at the woman on the chair talking to Tony.

"Hey Nat." Maria said with smile.

"Hi."

"You're probably confused as to why I am here. Fury needs help from Steve. Old hydra bunker, nothing major though."

Tony had left by this point and Natasha had started to question the guest.

"Are you staying?"

"Nope just here to brief, I'll by out of your way soon." The woman said getting off the chair. "Unless you want me to stay." She said with a smirk.

This made Natasha want to throw up. She ignored the comment and made herself a coffee dismissing the disappointment on Maria's face.

Natashas pov:

Wanda walked in a minute later.

"Hey Nat" the witch said with a smile.
Fuck. I knew I would have to respond and I doubt wanda would be there for long so I just said hi back. She grabbed a glass out of the cabinet and poured water in from the sink.
"Are we doing training today?" She said turning back to me. I knew the girl wanted to get better at combat so I couldn't refuse.

"Sure, meet back here at 2." I say with a small smile.

Wanda had walked out of the room and the other woman took this as an opportunity.

"I heard there was a nice restaurant not far from here, maybe we could go there and do something else after?" Maria said suggestively.

"No, you know that ended a long time ago, I do not want to continue with this conversation." I said pouring the rest of my coffee down the drain and walk away.
Maria grabbed my wrist pulling me back. I turned to look at her with a stern face.

"Why can't we go back to the way it was? I know you still love me."

By this point I actually was going to throw up so forcefully pulled the woman's hand off my wrist.
"Go home. Otherwise I will end up puking all over you."

"Thanks for that, it's sad to see you've changed. It's because of that other girl isn't it. What's her name?" She said trying to recall the witches name.

"Wanda. And no it's not because of her, I just don't want you harassing me." I say and turn to leave. Then I saw a figure rush off around the corner. It wasn't one of the boys, this person had long hair. It was wanda. "Shit" I say under my breath. I rush off, not trying to make it obvious to Maria but also wanting to catch up with the brunette.
I hoped I hadn't upset the girl, but it was clear by the way that she rushed into her room and closed the door that I had.

I stood outside the door for a moment debating if it was really a good idea to go in or I'd the girl just wanted to be alone.
I decided it would be best to leave wanda alone as I didn't want to intrude. Maybe I'd talk to her later. I knew this was all my fault even reacting like that to Maria and not just walking out of the room immediately.
Then I remembered. I had agreed to train with wanda at 2. I had two choices: 1. Leave wanda alone and let training be awkward if she even turned up, or 2. Try to work this out now and potentially risk more awkwardness the rest of the day.
It was a hard decision and decided to go for the second option. It was risky but thought it was the best way.

"Wanda?" I said knocking on her door gently.

"Come in" she said with no expression.

I opened the door and walked in seeing her on her bed with a book in her hand.

"What are you reading?" I said completely forgetting why I was there.

"I don't know but it's alright. Tony got me it."

"That's nice."

"Did you want anything?" She said as I stood awkwardly. She noticed this ans patted the side of her bed and moved over for me to sit down. I hesitated for a moment but walked over to sit.
I stared at her beautiful eyes for a moment, completely thrown off by how pretty she was.

Wanda gave an awkward cough and I snapped out of whatever I was experiencing.

"Right, yes, so about before." I hesitated again. I knew wanda knew what I was talking about as she looked down and then towards the door. "I'm sorry you had to see that."

"So you guys were together. What happened?" Wanda said completely ignoring my apology. I looked down not wanting to say what had caused us to break up. She spoke again though.
"Have I done something wrong?" She pauses. "I feel like you've been trying to avoid me ever since you came back from that mission. Have I said something wrong? I don't mean to have said anything rude or anything. I noticed almost immediately, you're not good at hiding it."

"Wanda I-" I started but she put her finger over my mouth trying to get me to stop talking.

"I feel like it was my fault. Is it because you've been looking after me that it broke yous up. I promise I can look after myself you don't need to do that, especially if it's stopping you being with other people." Wanda had started to ramble ans I didn't know what to do. So on instinct I put my hands on her thighs trying to stop her from talking so I could have a turn.
It seemed to work as she stopped and looked down. She blushed for a second and tried to look back at me.

"You're rambling. I came to apologise, I  saw you run off and I hadn't realised you had seen it all. I don't like her anymore and we ended a long time ago. Before I even knew you. You have nothing to do with what happened so it's definitely not your fault." I stopped not wanting to answer why I had been trying to shut her out.

I didn't want her to be hurt but I also didn't want to make things awkward by how I felt.

I took my hands off her thighs and started to fight with them. She cupped my cheek in her hand and looked at me with patient eyes. She still wanted an answer and I could tell but she didn't want to upset me by doing so. Her hands were incredibly soft and slightly cold. I could feel my face heat up.

"Listen, uhm, the reason I was trying to move away from you was because I didnt want to hurt you. I know I probably did so by shutting you out but I was so scared to hurt you again that I didn't want to risk anything."

"Why would you have hurt me? Have you done something?" She looked at me slightly concerned. I started to panic knowing I couldn't tell her the truth but also knew I couldn't hide anything from her. My hands were starting to shake.

"It's just- there's a lot on my mind right now."  I said looking down at the bed not wanting to make eye contact.

"I can help with that. You've helped me and now I can return the favour." She said knowing there's more to it.

"There's just this feeling inside of me. It doesn't hurt physically, but it's been there for so long that it feels like it's slowly ripping me apart from the inside. It aches and I feel empty." Wanda was listening intentively. And whilst what I was saying wasn't wrong, it wasn't the feeling I was referring to.
"Anyways I think I should go." I said trying to quickly escape the situation. Opening up to people was the worst and it made me incredibly uncomfortable knowing the other person had to respond. "Don't respond either, I don't want to be a burden."

"Thank you for opening up to me. It really does mean a lot."  She gave me a smile, and I turned round opening the door.

"Still want to train, even though I always beat your ass?" I say with my signature smirk.

"That won't be the case this time."