2. The Weirdo On Maple Street

The boys wanted to bring the girl to my house at first, but I turned that idea down. My mom already had enough stress about Will, and she didn't need some weird girl to worry about, too.

"What about my house? I have a basement we could keep her in for the night," Mike had said.

So that brings us here. The girl in the yellow t-shirt sat on the couch in front of us, while we stood across from her. I had given her my jacket so she could warm up from being outside in the thunderstorm. She looked a little frightened, and the kids didn't help that by continuously throwing questions at her.

"Is there a number we can call for your parents?" Mike asked.

"Where's your hair?" Dustin wondered. "Do you have cancer?"

"Dustin!" I said as I smacked his arm.

"Did you run away?" Lucas asked.

"Are you in some kind of trouble?" I decided to be part of the interrogation.

"Is that blood?" Lucas reached his arm out with his eyes wide.

Mike smacked his hand away. "Stop it! You're freaking her out!"

"She's freaking me out!" Lucas countered.

"I bet she's deaf," Dustin said, in his own little world. He paused for a second before leaning forward and clapping his hands together in the girl's face. She jumped back into the couch at his actions. "Not deaf," he concluded.

"All right that's enough, all right? She's just scared and cold," Mike defended the girl.

I took the hint and backed away from the group to a laundry hamper. I grabbed some of Mike's clothes and jogged back to everyone, handing the girl the sweater and sweatpants.

"Here, these are clean. Okay?" I told her.

She reached her hand out and grabbed the items in my hand slowly. She rubbed the pieces of clothing on her cheek, feeling the material, before setting them down beside her. She stood up, slipping my jacket off. Her hands reached down to the bottom of her shirt, and, before anyone could think about what she was doing, pulled at her shirt.

The boys took action immediately. All clamoring together to stop her from taking her one piece of clothing off. Dustin and Lucas turned away screaming "oh my god" and covering their eyes. Mike had his fingers wrapped around the girl's wrists, keeping her from undressing. And me? I was basically rolling on the floor laughing.

My knees had buckled from how much I was laughing at the boys' reaction. I don't know why it was so funny to me, but it was.

I wiped the tears that had fallen from my eyes while smiling, getting up from the floor. I walked over to the girl, putting my hand on her back.

"See over there? That's the bathroom. Privacy, got it?" I told her while leading her to the basement bathroom.

She walked in and looked around like she had never seen one of these before. I was about to walk away and close the door, but she shot her hand out and stopped the door from shutting.

"You don't want it closed?" I asked the girl softly.

She shook her head slightly before saying, "No."

Oh, so she can speak.

"Okay, well . . ." I thought for a moment. "How about we just keep the door--" I left the door open a couple inches "--like this."

She just stared at me with her brows furrowed.

"Is that better?" I asked.

"Yes," she spoke.