011. The Pollywog

I was frantically throwing pillows off my couch and digging my fingers in between the coushins while my mother was doing the same thing opposite of me.

"Jesus, have you seen them?" she huffed.

"We're looking, mom," I half-shouted in frustration.

Jonathan had taken a coat off of the coat rack and was rummaging through the pockets. Will came around the corner with a backpack and was rifling through what was inside it. I dropped down on my hands and knees to search under the couches. Mom rushed to the kitchen counters to check there.

"Yeah, we-we're looking," Will echoed my words.

As I stood back up and dusted my hands from kneeling down, someone shouted from Mom's bedroom.

"Aha! Found 'em!" Bob appeared from my mother's bedroom with her keys in his hand while I joined my brothers at our breakfast table.

I shared a confused glance with both of them as Bob continued to make his way toward Mom.

"Hiding under some jeans, sneaky little buggers," he said.

Mom took them from his hands and hugged him tightly. "Thank you. Thank you. You're a life saver," she whispered as she kissed him on the cheek.

I breathed a laugh as my mom turned around and faced us. "Can you guys take Will to school today? I cannot be late again."

"He's staying over now?" Jonathan mumbled to Mom.

"Can you just take Will, please?" Mom said with a warning in her voice as she slipped on her jacket.

"I can take him," Bob suggested.

"Will you make sure he gets in okay?" Joyce asked.

"Yeah, of course," Bob laughed.

Will looked at me nervously, and I nodded, telling him it was fine.

"What do you say big guy? Wanna go for a ride in the Bob-mobile?"

I snickered and grabbed my backpack, slinging it over my shoulder and following Jonathan out to his car.

I climbed into the passenger seat and put my bag in between my legs.

"We need to talk."

I looked over at Jonathan, furrowing my brows in a silent question.

"You were with Billy last night," my brother said.

"Yeah? And?" I asked.

"Are you and him a thing now?" he wondered.

"I mean, we haven't really made anything official, but last night he called me his girl and I just kinda went with it so I guess we are," I said.

Jonathan just nodded and turned the key in the ignition. "Okay. Just be careful."

"I will," I smiled, glad that he wasn't judging me too much, at least not out loud.

"And tell me next time you start going out with someone. I want to be sure to fill that big brother overprotectiveness thing," he laughed.

I shoved his shoulder and grinned wider. "We're only a year apart, you're making it sound like you're so much older, calm down. But yeah, I'll let you know."

He smiled at me as we pulled out onto the street.

+*+*+

I decided to skip my last period and go watch Billy play basketball in his gym class. One thing I unfortunately overlooked was that Steve was also in this gym class.