14. The Spy

"Hammer To Fall" was playing on the stereo as we sat in silence. I picked at my nails, Dustin fidgeted with his hat, and Steve was hyper focused on the road.

Dustin had just finished telling his story, with some input by me, and it was now dark as we drove to Dustin's house.

I was mumbling along quietly to the song, and I could feel Steve's gaze on me at times.

Then, he interrupted the precious silence. "Wait a sec. How big?"

"That's what she said," I laughed.

"First it was like this." Dustin held up his thumb and pointer finger, making a small space between the two. "Now he's like this." He held up both him arms, making them the size that Dart was.

"I swear to God, man, it's just some little lizard, okay?" Steve said, probably to reassure himself more than anyone.

"It's not a lizard," I laughed humorlessly.

"How do you know?" he demanded.

"How do I know it's not a lizard?" I repeated.

"Yeah, how do you know if it's not just a lizard!" Steve yelled.

I flinched slightly, hoping it went unnoticed. Unfortunately, it wasn't. Steve noticed right away.

Instead of checking up on me and asking what was wrong like Nancy does and Barb did, he just furrowed his brows in anger and mumbled something that sounded like "I'm gonna kill him."

This all happened in a second, all unnoticed by Dustin, who said, "Because his face opened up and he ate my cat!"

Steve paused, and stared out the windshield, turning all his focus off of me and onto Dustin.

"Yeah, okay, that's . . . " he muttered.

Steve pulled into Dustin's driveway, and we all clambered out. I circled around to the trunk of the car, Dustin and Steve following me.

Steve opened the back and tossed me the keys. I caught them with difficulty, and he leaned into the back to grab his infamous bat.

Our eyes glanced at each other, and he held the eye contact while he shut the trunk. I broke it to look at the ground, heat forming in my cheeks. As soon as I noticed I was blushing at Steve, I curled my lip, making a disgusted face.

"Oh my God, no. What is wrong with you, (Y/N). You have a boyfriend. And that's Steve Harrington. You're supposed to hate him," I muttered to myself the whole way to the cellar.

Steve pointed his flashlight at the cellar door, and tapped them with his bat. "I don't hear shit."

"He's in there, trust me," I said.

He tapped it again, and when he didn't hear anything, he took a swing at the doors.

Still nothing.

"Alright, listen, guys. I swear, if this is some sort of Halloween prank" -he pointed the flashlight at Dustin's face, then mine- "you're both dead."

"It's not," Dustin assured.

"It's not even October anymore, Steve," I sighed.

"Alright?" Steve said sternly.

"It's not a prank," Dustin echoed his earlier words.

"Get it out of my face," I said, referring to the flashlight.

Steve nodded to the cellar. "You got a key for this thing?"

I pulled it out of my jacket pocket while he handed the flashlight to Dustin.