9. Madmax

There I was, standing outside of Steve Harrington's car, leaning against the back door on the passenger side while Nancy talked to him inside the car.

I scoffed as they leaned toward each other to kiss, still confused as to why Nancy would take him back.

As I turned away with my arms folded over my chest and my backpack hanging off of one shoulder, I heard an engine revving. Nancy and Steve opened their doors and climbed out of the car.

A blue camaro sped into the high-school parking lot, windows down and music blaring. A red-haired girl that looked around Will's age was sitting in the passenger seat, and a good-looking guy with a blonde mullet was driving.

The license plate was a Californian one, so I assumed that they had just moved here. The passenger door opened and one jean-clad leg stepped out of the car. His black boot hit the gravel of the parking lot, and he used that leg to pull the rest of his body out.

He was wearing a white undershirt and a blue jean jacket, and he had a cigarette hanging from his lips. He turned his head and his icy blue eyes bored into mine. He winked at me before making his way towards the school.

I quickly turned away to see the red-haired girl zoom away on her skateboard. I chuckled to myself before walking into the school with Nancy and Steve.

First period went by quickly and soon I was walking with Jonathan and Nancy to Nancy's locker. As we rounded one of the corners, Tina handed me and Nancy bright orange flyers for her party.

"Hey (Y/N). Nancy," she greeted.

"Hey!" I said, taking the flyer from her with a smile.

"Thanks," Nancy said.

Jonathan side-stepped getting a flyer, and she quickly turned around to ask for another. Once she got one, she shoved it into my brother's chest.

"You're coming to this," Nancy told him as he took the paper from her hand.

"Come and get sheet faced," Jonathan read. "No, I'm not."

"Yes you are. There is no way in hell I'm letting you sit home alone while Will is trick or treating and I'm out at this party all by myself," I said.

"You'll be with me," Nancy said.

"Oh please. You and Steve won't be able to keep your hands off each other." I rolled my eyes.

"Well, you guys can relax cause I'm not gonna be home alone," Jonathan declared.

Nancy and I gave him a look so he would continue.

"I'm going trick-or-treating with Will," he finished.

"Oh God," I muttered, face-palming.

"All night?" Nancy asked sceptically.

"Yeah," Jonathan said.

"No, no way. You're gonna be home by eight, listening to the Talking Heads and reading Vonnegut or something," Nancy teased.

I didn't get to hear the rest of the conversation, as my wrist was grabbed gently and I was pulled into someone leaning against a wall.

Bright blue eyes gazed into mine as my waist was gripped and I stood in front of Blonde-mullet guy.

"Hey, princess."

"Um, hi?" I said, unsure, though I didn't back away.

"You going to that party?" he asked me, leaning farther back into the wall and pulling me to stand in between his legs.

"I am," I said. "Who are you?"

"I'm Billy Hargrove, gorgeous," he smiled. "And you?"

"(Y/N) Byers."