46

He curled his fingers around the handle and pulled the draw open with a dull scrape.
Locking eyes with you he reached into the back of the compartment and retrieved a small black box.
"Y/n." He said, eyes boring into yours with passionate intensity.
"Newt." You managed. All the air had been sucked from the room to be replaced with an atmosphere so ablaze it could have set the Glade on fire.

Newt walked over to you.
When he was only a few feet away he put the box on the palm of his left hand and got down on one knee.
"Y/n. My love. My beautiful girl. You've made me happier than I ever have been and ever could imagine being. You bring me so much joy, I could never feel for another person anything remotely close to what I feel for you. We're young, I know, and the situation isn't great, but all those times I thought I'd lose you made me even more sure that you're the one I want to be with. Forever. I don't care what happens after today. All I know is that I want you. So, would you do me the honour, of marrying me?"

He snapped open the lid to reveal a silver band nestled in white tissue paper.
"Yes, yes of course yes!" You cried, tears of pure happiness falling from your eyes as a bubble of the most amazing content filled within you.
Newt stood up, smiling so much little crinkles appeared by his eyes.
You held out your hand and he slipped the engagement ring onto your finger.
You beamed up at him and threw your arms around his neck as he wound his around your waist, gripping you tightly and burring his face into your hair, hot breath hitting your neck.
"I know we can't get married any time soon, I'm not even sure if we can. But think of it as a promise, to be forever."
You couldn't speak for emotions threatening to overwhelm you completely.

"I love you so much." You whispered against his chest.
"And I love you too. So, so much." He murmured.
"I'll never get used to that." You laughed.
"Well you better, now you've agreed to marry me and all."
"Ah, yeah, I did, didn't I?" You giggled.
He drew away slightly and peppered kisses all over your face before finally placing a lingering on your lips.
"Beautiful beautiful beautiful beautiful beautiful. My beautiful girl."
"We should get going, they'll be waiting." You laughed, practically bubbling over with happiness.
"Of course, darling."
You picked up your pack and entwined your newly ringed fingers with his.

"What kept you?" Minho hollered at you as you both jogged toward the group assembled by the doors.
"Oh, you know, just got distracted." Newt grinned, holding up your interlocked fingers to show off your ring.
"Well finally, I thought you'd never get around to it." Minho laughed, nearly drowned out by the Gladers' cheering and cat-calling.
"Wait, what do you mean, finally." You raised your eyebrows at the boys before you.
Newt scratched the back of his neck and chuckled lightly, "Well, I was going to do it before the whole business with Felix but I couldn't find a right time."
"So you decided that when we were just about to be facing imminent death and almost certain destruction would be a good time to propose?"
"Well I couldn't think of a better one." He shrugged.

You laughed and pushed your lips to his cheek, still overcome with happiness to do anything but stare at the man who was to be your husband.
"Honestly," You heard Minho whisper, "their sexual tension is so think you could probably get ADIS from it."
"Oh yeah," You said raised an eyebrow, "come on Minho, give us a hug."
"Ew get away from me you cootie infested freaks!" He batted your hands away.
"Oi! Get a move on guys!" Alby yelled from up front; Minho immediately jogged ahed but you lagged back, running the palms of your hands up Newt's chest and behind his neck.
"Is this really happening?" You asked.
"You tell me." He smiled, leaning down and pressed his lips to yours.

"So when are we leaving?" You asked Alby as Newt wound his arms around you and pulled you flush against his chest.
Alby's mouth was set in a firm line as he handed you a machete.

"Now." He said, "we leave now."

--- I am so sorry it took me so long to update I've been panicking over revision and stuff so this chapter isn't really as good as it could be.
I love you guys so much you are perfect I couldn't ask for better readers, bye Noses :) ---