Chapter 4: Graduation

1 month later:

"Allowing fate alone to steer one's life can relinquish the power of personal choice, rendering one a mere passenger in their journey."

Y/n conjured these words in his mind as he stared up at the sky. The tame breeze brushed across his face as he sat next to the lake.

Y/n: "There's no point hiding. I know you're there." Y/n turned his head slightly to see Hange hiding behind a tree.

Hange: "Ahh I was gonna scare you." Y/n chuckled under his breath as Hange walked over to him.

Y/n: "Nice to see you made it back in one piece."

Hange: "Nice to see you're worried about me." Hange sat down next to Y/n and stared at the stars.  "Beautiful, isn't it?"

Y/n: "Yeah, it is." Y/n and Hange sat in silence for a moment as they stared at the stars. "So, how did you find me?"

Hange: "Well I asked your commandant and he told me you went this way. I used to come here often myself. So I knew there was only one place you could be."

Y/n: "Never took you for a scenic type."

Hange: "Trust me, I'm not. It's just nice to get away from it all."

Y/n: "Away from what?"

Hange: "All the hustle and bustle of real life. Sometimes, I wish I could live a life in peace. But I know what I signed up for. " Y/n glanced over at Hange and noticed her playing with her fingers.

Y/n: "You know, there used to be someone very important to me. We used to go to places like this all the time when we got the chance." Hange looked over to Y/n as a tear fell down his eye.

Hange: "What type of person were they? " she said concerned.

Y/n: "They were beautiful, selfless, kind, and cared deeply for life. They were everything I couldn't ever be. " Y/n picked up a rock and tightened his fist around it. "But one day, they were gone. Their life ripped off all that compassion and love for others. All that was left, was a husk of a man. Left to be burdened with the guilt of actions out of his control. " Y/n through the rock into the lake and rested his head on the ground.

Hange: "Although I can't relate exactly, I have watched many Comrades, and people I'd call friends, die before my very eyes. However, we're here to remember what they stood for." Y/n placed his hand on Hange's shoulder as she turned to look at him.

Y/n: "You may be crazy, but at least I know you are more human than Titan. But you are correct. As sick and pointless life is, we all have a want to continue living." Y/n let his hand go while the two sat silently. Carefully, Hange moved away from the conversation.

Hange: "Tell me, did you lie to the military?"

Y/n: "Whatever do you mean?" Y/n kept himself calm as Hange started to question him.

Hange: "Theirs no reports of your existence before the attack on Shiganshina."

Y/n: "I did." Hange looked at Y/n with surprise, not expecting his honest answer. "To be honest with you, I can't even remember what I did say."

Hange: "Then why did you lie?" Standing up, Y/n started sorting out his jacket and his hair while he answered Hange.

Y/n: "Isn't it obvious? I wanted to stay alive. Although, I probably regret it now." Another empty silence filled the air. Wanting to escape the situation, Y/n proceeded to walk off, stopping himself to say one last thing. "Hange...may I ask a favour?"

Hange: "It depends on what it is." She said seriously. "You're not gonna make me lie are you?"

Y/n: "No...nothing like that." Y/n chuckled. "If you've got the time, come see me again. It's been a long time since I've met someone who's, although a little bit crazy, is truly human." With that, Y/n left Hange alone by the lake. Contemplating what just happened, Hange gritted her teeth and thought back on the conversation.