Part 8: 57th Expedition Beyond the Walls

Two Weeks Later:

The gates of Calanath District opened. A heard of rumbling erupted from the horses and carriages of the Survey Corp. A small portion of Squad Four was chosen to defend the convoy as it moved out of Calanath District. Titans were present at the gate but weren't able to make it to the main convoy due to the distraction of the Squad Four soldiers.

The Convoy split as it left the former outer village town of Calanath. Teams One, Two, Three, and Four (Squads One and Two) were the first to break off, acting as the first and second-row spotters. Teams Five, Six, and Seven (Recruits and Squad Three) then proceeded after them, acting as signallers and spare horse carriers. Teams Eight, Nine, and Ten (Squad Four) remained central with the Command Squad, acting as logistics. Finally, positioned at the rear of the Centre, was the Special Operations Squad (Levi Squad) with Eren.

Y/n was placed within Team Ten under the command of Lauda, who had chestnut eyes and shoulder-length brown hair, neatly tied back with tousled bangs framing the front. As they got further out, the members of Squad Four which defended the convoy as it left Calanath, had managed to catch up. Y/n rode next to Lauda, who was the one manning the most forward carriage of Team Ten.

Lauda: "Make sure you're on guard Y/n! We may be in the centre but we can't be caught out!"

Y/n: "Sir!" It felt odd to Y/n to be outside of the Walls. It was nearly all flat plains with no signs of human life. "Sir, I didn't have time to ask in the briefing, but why are we in Teams and not in our Squad?"

Lauda: "When we're out on an expedition, it's difficult for Section Commander Hange to keep track of such a large number of us spread apart. That's why we're split into three groups and each assigned a Team Leader." Y/n was impressed with the reasoning behind this. It was true that Titans were attracted to bigger groups of people, so splitting us up into smaller groups would ensure less chance of encountering a Titan. "Pretty smart isn't it?"

Y/n: "That's a very good reason behind it."

Lauda: "You're new here so I don't blame you for being confused at first. When Erwin came in as the new Commander, he developed this system, and slowly engineered it into the Scouts as a whole. Although a bit complex, it's saved many of our lives." The genius of Erwin was becoming even more known the more Y/n learned of him.

Y/n: "Intuitive indeed. I see why everyone respects him so much now."

Lauda: "If what Erwin says is true, whoever comes after Eren is going to be in for a surprise." As if timed perfectly, Y/n felt a shock go through his nervous system. Although he could not tell who from his location, it was obvious that they had taken the bait.

Y/n: "I'm sure they will be..."

Later in the expedition:

Large amounts of red and black smoke had been shot off from the right-wing spotters. It had become rather quiet which made everyone nearby anxious. However, the plan which Erwin derived was still in motion. Team Ten had received confirmation that the Command Squad, alongside Team Eight and Nine, had made their way through the tree line and into the Forest proper. Finally, the Forest came into view for Team Ten, being the last Team to arrive before Levi Squad.

Lauda: "Remember our orders Team Ten! The majority of the devices would've been set up by the time we get in but we have our roles! When we get into view of the rest of Squad Four, I'll need the rear half of our Team to quickly fasten your horses, and get on relatively high ground to act as a warning! The rest of you will help us unload as much from the carriages as possible!"

Team Ten: "Yes sir!" The convoy of Team Ten broke through the opening of a tree line into the Forest. As they drove into the Forest, some of the rearmost members of Team Ten broke off and got into their positions.