Part 7: Time before the Expedition

One Day Later:

After the Trost reclamation mission, Y/n had managed to dodge a lot of the post-battle cleanup by staying with Squad 4. He helped to get the Titans transported while Hange, and the rest of the upper command of the Scout Regiment, decided on what to do with Eren. Meanwhile, Y/n waited outside of the courthouse. He had managed to give his statement of events earlier than most of the Cadets. 

Nifa: "You okay?" Nifa walked up to Y/n standing outside of the courthouse. The two had gotten on pretty well the day before so Y/n felt rather comfortable around her. "I'm sure you've been worried about your friend."

Y/n: "I suppose, but what I know of Commander Erwin, I don't believe he will let Eren be executed." Y/n said relaxed.

Nifa: "It seems like you know a lot about the Commander."

Y/n: "When I met Hange, it was the Commander who began the conversation. I was lucky enough to meet Miche and Levi as well."

Nifa: "Funny how fate works wouldn't you say?" Fate, something Y/n was still concerned about. After all, it is Lady Ymir who dictates what 'Fate' is.

Y/n: "Fate...I guess it does." Y/n always suspected that events were too convenient. Y/n's convenient meeting with the Scout's upper command. Eren being alongside Annie, Reiner, and Bertholdt in the Cadets corps at once. Even Ymir and Christa being friends was rather strange. Ymir knows Christa's secret while also having one herself. To Y/n, it looked as if the cards were in place for a winning hand. If it's a game of god Lady Ymir wishes to play, then Y/n is more than happy to play against her. "I have a question I want to ask."

Nifa: "Go ahead."

Y/n: "If you could prove that fate is real, would you?" Y/n gave Nifa time to think. It was a loaded question after all.

Nifa: "I think that I, along with the rest of the Scouts, most likely would. The same way that we fight to break out of literal walls, I believe we would also fight to break out of metaphorical walls as well." Y/n smirked at Nifa's answer. "Is something wrong with my answer?"

Y/n: "No, I quite like it." The doors to the courthouse opened as they spoke. Y/n wasn't permitted to enter the tribunal as he did not have direct contact with Eren. Hange and Commander Erwin made their way out together. Miche followed not too soon after.

Nifa: "Commander!" Nifa and Y/n both saluted as the Commander walked over to them with Hange and Miche.

Erwin: "A pleasure to meet you again Y/n. Hange mentioned how you helped capture the two Titans. I appreciate the assistance in the mission."

Y/n: "I did promise to be a Scout." A smile formed on Erwin's face. In the corner of Y/n's eye, he saw a more reserved version of Hange. It was new for Y/n to see her this way.

Erwin: "It's nice to see someone who stuck to their principles. It wouldn't have surprised me if you had changed your mind after Trost. Most people don't get the chance to see a Titan and live to see another day."

Y/n: "I'm not exactly a normal person." Erwin chuckled after Y/n said this.

Erwin: "You'll fit in just fine then." Y/n looked around but could not see Levi or Eren for that matter. Has the tribunal not ended?

Y/n: "Where's Eren and Levi? I'm surprised they're not with you."

Hange: "Levi has taken Eren to the Scout headquarters. We'll be heading there soon with the captured Titans. It's a shame. I would've liked to do a few tests on Eren but oh well." Miche remained silent, quietly observing the conversation and Y/n.

Y/n: "We? Does that mean that I'll be stuck with you Hange?"

Hange: "Hey, if it's such a big problem, we can send you back with the rest of the Cadets." Hange said sarcastically.