Chapter 5: Battle for Trost

"In the inferno of conflict, the soul of humanity bears witness to the harrowing truth that war, in its relentless brutality, is an abyss that devours both courage and compassion, leaving behind the haunting echoes of a hell forged by human strife."

The footsteps of Titans and the screams of death carried themselves through the streets of Trost. However, they weren't the screams of   Y/n and his squad, but the screams of those who trained only to be Titan food. The irony of the situation is that even though Y/n was not in the thick of things himself, every time someone's life was taken, Titan or Human, he felt their paths being cut off. Although, he did not who was dying, it did not take away the discomfort he felt. Y/n was assigned a squad of seven including himself, Ymir, Christa, Conny, and three others.

Ymir: "Hey, Y/n...are we seriously still doing this? Isn't it obvious that the vanguard and middle guard are overrun?"

Conny: "Hey! How do you know that? Don't you trust in our friends?"

Ymir: "I trust that they're screwed." Conny got visibly angry again. However, with the sensory overload that Y/n was having, he was not in the mood to deal with the two of them.

Y/n: "She's right Conny...but I feel as if the middle guard is still in some level of fighting shape. Until we're given orders to retreat, we can at least see if anyone's survived." The squadron, following Y/n's lead, continued its path to the middle guard. As they got closer, the quieter the battlefield became, symbolising the final hopes of the middle guard failing.

Conny: "Look! It's Armin!" Armin was on his knees on a rooftop nearby. Quickly, Y/n ordered his squad to take up positions around Armin. Conny quickly ran over to Armin and began to shake him. "Wake up! Armin! Hey! Can you hear me? Come on! Snap out of it! I need you to talk to me! Say something?" Armin snapped back to reality, looking at Conny. "There you are, you with me now? What's going on? Where's your squad?"

Armin: "Squad..." Armin was shaken by something. However, when Y/n activated his ability to see the paths, Erens could be seen clearly in the distance.

Conny: "Alright, let's get you on your feet. You shouldn't be out here alone." Conny looked at his hand and felt a slimy substance. "What the hell you got all over you that's so damn slimy? What happened?"

Armin: "Gaaaahhhhh! You're worthless! Why can't you just die?" Armin screamed at the top of his lungs as tears flowed from his eyes.

Conny: "Hey, you need to pull yourself together!"

Armin: "Damn you!" He said to himself.

Conny: "Where is everyone?" Armin finally stopped fighting but refused to get off his knees.

Ymir: "Let it go, Conny. He's it. The rest of them are dead."

Conny: "Dammit, don't talk like that! You can't just assume he's the only one!"

Ymir: "Take a look around you, isn't it obvious? We can't waste any more time here with him, we've gotta move on."

Conny: "You're not making any sense, why would the Titans just ignore him?" The sensory overload that was occurring in Y/n stopped during the conversation. Bringing himself back to full consciousness, Y/n took charge of the situation.

Y/n: "Conny! Ymir! That's enough!" The two quickly shut up after hearing Y/n talk. "Christa, go check on Armin. Make sure he's not hurt."

Christa: "Oh...okay." Christa made her way over to Armin and took a knee next to him. "Are you okay Armin? Is there anywhere you've been hurt?"

Armin: "No...I'm fine." Armin stood back up but paid no attention to Y/n and the rest of the squad. "I'll go and join back with the rear guard." Armin quickly left the group with his ODM gear, not giving them any time to question him.