Chapter TWENTY

"Not bad, not bad at all". Mr Rogers nodded as he looked through the pile of papers on his desk.

"Not gonna lie, i expected half of you to fail this project but it seems like you all exceeded my expectations, congratulations". Mr Rogers smiled at the class.

"Wow, those are nice words of encouragement". A student deadpanned.

"Yeah sir, just because some of us don't like studying doesn't mean we're stupid". Another student yelled from the back of the class.

"Of course, absolutely". Mr Rogers said. "But just because you didn't fail, doesn't mean you did well". The older man continued with a stoic expression on his face.

"This project was worth sixty percent of your grade, a handful of you achieved that sixty percent, some forty percent and the rest of you were in between thirty to thirty-nine percent. Which isn't a fail but it is poor and you will need to do better, much better in your finals". Mr Rogers explained going back and forth at the front of the class.

Everybody seemed to paying attention as they nodded to what the man was saying.

"But nonetheless I expected less from you, so yay good job guys". The other man clasped his hands together replacing his blank face with a happy one.

"Damn teach, you sure do know how to give someone a heart attack". Jamie muttered frowning at the man.

"Anyways we've got five more minutes before class is over, I'll be in the teachers lounge stealing donuts". Mr Rogers checked his watch and motioned for a student to take the submitted projects to his office.

"Why steal the donuts though, aren't they available for all teachers?". A student questioned.

"Apparently, only 'senior' teachers get them". The older man scoffed. "Why would people who could be suffering from diabetes want donuts?". The man shook his head grabbing his bag and exited the class.

The classroom became noisy as soon as the older man left, some people scrambled out of the class others talked with each other.

"Alright come on boys, we've got practice". Ryan said pulling Jamie out of his seat dragging him out of the class. Cole, Jayson and a few of their teammates followed suit.

The boys changed in the locker room and went out to the field were they met their coach. They were drilled for an hour, running back and forth the field, and practicing plays for their next game.

After that coach Marshall signalled for everyone to line up on the field for an announcement. "So as you all know our next game is coming up in a few days". The man stated handing out permission slips to each of them.

"It's an away game which means we'll be traveling out of town for it. Now I've given out slips to each of you, and I expect them signed by your parents or guardians and on my desk first thing tomorrow". The coach's tone was stern standing at ease in front of the boys.

"We're staying in a four star hotel, provisions made by the management and we will be there for three days". The older man singled out Ryan who stood next to him.

"Ryan here will ensure the division of the rooms, if there are any questions direct it at him or you could also come to me if they aren't clear". The man patted Ryan's back as he strolled off the field.

The boys were excited for their first away game, they've been mentally and physically prepared for the game knowing well that could give them a chance to win States championship on behalf of their coach and also to get bragging rights for two school years, though they would have graduated by then at least their school would still brag.