BOOK ONE: CHAPTER TEN

"Come on, Veronica! Just tell me what Dumbledore needed you to do!"

Veronica rolled her eyes as she looked out the window of the Hogwarts Express. Charlie had not stopped asking her since he returned from the Christmas break, and no matter how many times she had told him that it was a secret, he kept asking. Even Bill had told him to drop it on several occasions, but Charlie couldn't help it; he was curious by nature.

At the mention of Dumbledore, Veronica was brought back to a conversation she had had with him a week prior when she visited his office.

***

"Ah, Veronica. Is Mr. Weasley still pestering you about the events that supposedly transpired over the Christmas break?"

"Yes, sir."

"And you still refuse to tell him the truth?"

"Yes, sir!" Veronica chuckled as she sat in one of the chairs across his desk.

Dumbledore smiled as he shook his head, changing the subject. "What are your plans for the summer? There's only a week left before the holiday."

"That's actually what I came to talk to you about, Professor. I was wondering if you gave our previous conversation any more thought?"

"Veronica, I already told you. Students cannot stay at Hogwarts over the summer, no exceptions. I'm sorry."

"I know, I know. But there has to be somewhere I can stay that isn't with my parents."

"As I have mentioned before, you could always stay with the Weasleys. I know they would be happy to have you."

"Professor! I already told you I don't want to burden them! Mr. and Mrs. Weasley have seven children of their own. They do not need an eighth."

"Veronic-"

"Please Headmaster, just drop it. There has to be somewhere else, like a wizard hotel or something."

"Well," Dumbledore stood from his desk and began pacing around his office, "there is the inn above the Leaky Cauldron in Diagon Alley. I could inform the barman, Tom, that you will be staying there for the summer and ask him to give you a fair price on a room. And to keep an eye on you, of course." Veronica's eyes lit up, and she was about to thank him when he continued. "However, you will have to find your own way there from King's Cross Station."

Veronica jumped up and hugged the Headmaster tightly. She knew it was probably frowned upon, but she didn't even care. She was so happy. "Thank you, Professor! Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

Dumbledore was unsure what to do as he had never been hugged by a student before. Awkwardly, he patted her head until she let go. "Alright, alright. Go on now, you'll be late for class."

"Thanks again, Professor." Veronica made her way over to the door. "And get used to the hugs, Headmaster. I'm sure you'll be getting a lot of them from me over the next six years." The grin on Veronica's face was priceless as she left Dumbledore flustered in his office.

***

"Veronica!" Charlie's hand was waving in front of her face as she shook her head, being pulled out of her thoughts. "You weren't even listening to me, were you."

Veronica smiled shyly as she looked over at him. "Nope," she admitted. "But I'm sure you were trying to convince me to tell you what Dumbledore had me doing over the Christmas break, even though I've told you a million and one times that I cannot tell you. Am I right?"