BOOK SIX: CHAPTER FOUR

Veronica's head turned quickly towards the voice, and she saw Charlie standing in the doorway. Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath. How much did he hear? Standing up, she pulled the twins up with her. The soft smile on both their faces told her she had succeeded in making them feel better, but now she had to deal with their brother. "Alright, now run out to the car, you two. Let your parents know we'll be down in a minute."

Once the pair had left the room, Veronica took her time turning to face Charlie. When their eyes finally met, she could tell he wasn't upset. He just seemed disappointed. "Why didn't you tell me about that? You didn't really think I would have treated you differently, did you?"

Veronica sighed. "Charlie... you had made your opinions of Slytherin very clear. So yes, I definitely knew you wouldn't want to be my friend if I had been sorted there."

"No." Charlie shook his head adamantly; he knew for a fact this was not the case. He was in love with her, and he had been since the moment they met. Nothing could have changed that, so while it might have been a bit of a shock for him to see her sorted into Slytherin and imagining her in Slytherin green rather than Ravenclaw blue was quite strange, he knew with all his heart that he wouldn't have loved her any less. He wouldn't have been able to stay away from her even if he wanted to... she had stolen his heart the moment their eyes met. "You're wrong." He knew he couldn't tell her why he was so confident about this, but he just wanted to make sure she knew that it wouldn't have changed anything. "Besides, I specifically remember saying that not all Slytherins are evil. Just that all evil wizards were Slytherins. There's a difference."

Veronica scoffed. "You said they should have gotten rid of Slytherin all together and just kept the other three houses. Or did you choose to forget that part?"

Charlie cringed, clearly remembering his words from their very first conversation. Cupping her cheeks in his hands, he conceded. "Okay, you're right. I did say that, but I didn't mean it. Not really. Each house has its part to play, and the four together make up Hogwarts. Besides, it's a part of who you are, and I wouldn't change that for the world because I love every part of you. Your ambition makes you who you are. You're always striving to do better. But your intelligence and thirst for knowledge has always been the driving factor behind your ambition, which is why I think the Sorting Hat was right to put you in Ravenclaw. You're a Ravenclaw through and through, and like I said that day, the Sorting Hat is never wrong." Placing a gentle kiss on her forehead, he pulled her into his chest and hugged her tight.

"I love you, Charlie." She couldn't even begin to tell him how much.

"I love you too. Now come on, mum will probably come up here and drag us out by our ears if we make them wait any longer."