BOOK SIX: CHAPTER SIX

"Thank you for meeting with me today, Ms. Singer. I am looking forward to having this meeting with you."

"Thanks, Professor. So am I."

Veronica sat across from Professor Flitwick in his office after he had sent her an owl earlier in the week to set up a time for this Career Advice Meeting. It was meant to happen last year, but with everything that she had gone through, he thought it would be better to hold off. Besides, they both knew that there was no concern for her future; whatever her career goals were, she would be able to achieve them.

"So, tell me Ms. Singer, what do you aspire to do when you graduate from Hogwarts?"

"Well, actually Professor, I've always dreamt of teaching. I've always loved the idea of being so knowledgeable about a subject that you can teach it to others. As you know, that's really the greatest test of one's knowledge anyway. In my second year, I attempted to teach Charlie some advanced magic... with the Headmaster's permission of course, and while he wasn't able to get it in the end, I loved teaching him. I loved explaining the concepts to him and watching him learn. And in third year, I tried to teach those same concepts to another student, and it was fascinating to see my approach to the lessons change based on the person I was teaching. And it solidified in my mind that teaching is what I want to do. But I'm sure you know teaching jobs in the wizarding world are hard to come by as you professors tend to stay in your roles for quite a long time, so I don't really have a backup plan."

"Well, Ms. Singer, keep your grades up where they have been for the last five years and you won't have to worry about your options. You'll have very many backup plans. And anyway, I don't think you'll have to worry much about a backup plan, I think your plan A just might come to pass."

"What do you mean, Professor? Do you know something I don't?"

"Oh, don't worry about it, Ms. Singer. You'll find out soon enough."

***

"So what did he say when you asked what he meant?"

"He just told me not to worry about it, but how can I not worry? Especially after such a cryptic message like that!"