BOOK SIX: CHAPTER NINE

"Cheers, team! Here's to a great game today and to the great season to come!" The Ravenclaw team minus Mavis clinked their glasses and cheered. "Now I don't want to see any of you again until Tuesday!" The team chuckled as Veronica turned to Reggie. "Come on, let's go to the upper level. It'll be quieter up there." Once on the upper level of the pub, the two found a table in the corner and sat across from each other. "Thanks again for coming today, Reg. I'm sure you must be so busy at work."

"Actually, we had the day off today anyway, so it worked out well."

"Nice! I still can't believe you get to play Quidditch for a living. The Pride of Portree team is so lucky to have you."

"It's definitely a dream come true. I was so lucky that one of their Beaters was retiring this year."

"So how is it going? Is it anything like Quidditch at Hogwarts?"

Reggie chuckled. "Sort of, but it's much more intense, as you can imagine. The coach is definitely a hard ass, but what else can you expect from the Scottish?"

Veronica raised her hands in the air and laughed. "You said it, not me."

Reggie shoved her shoulder playfully. "Yeah, yeah. You know V, I heard through the grapevine that the Holyhead Harpies are losing a Beater in a couple years. You should try out. I know you'd get the job."

"I think you have too much faith in me." Veronica smiled as she shook her head. "Anyway, I don't want to give up on my dream of teaching just yet. Flitwick made some comments to me that sounded like something was coming my way. I don't know what it possibly could be, but I'm holding on to hope, so we'll see."

"Wait, what? What did he say?"

"He just said not to worry too much about figuring out a plan B because my plan A, which was teaching, 'might come to pass.' He was so cryptic, so I don't know what that meant, but–"

"What if someone on the staff is leaving and Dumbledore is thinking of having you replace them?"

"I thought about that, but who could possibly be leaving? And besides, I can't imagine that a new graduate would be the best candidate to teach at Hogwarts."

"What? Veronica... you're not just a regular student. You're brilliant beyond your years, you would be more than capable of teaching any subject."

"Thanks Reg. We'll see, but it's very possible that that's not what he meant, so I don't want to get my hopes up."

"Alright, alright, fine. But you've got to tell me what happens with that."

"You know I will."

***

"Thanks for walking me back to the castle, Reg."

"Of course! It's late; I would never let you walk back alone."

"Such a gentleman." Veronica smiled and pulled him into a hug. "I had a great time catching up today. Thanks for coming to watch the game, it really meant a lot to me."

"I had a great time too, V. And it's my pleasure, I'm so glad you told me it was happening today. I miss Hogwarts so much, so it's so nice to be back. And I'd love any chance to come back while I still have friends here." Reggie chuckled softly. "But Charlie might just kill me if I come back too often, I stole you away from him all day."

Veronica rolled her eyes as she laughed. "He'll get over it."

Reggie hugged her one more time before pulling away. "Good, because I'm planning on coming back as often as I can. But for now, you should get going. Dinner will be over soon, and you need to eat something before bed."

"Ugh, I don't want the night to be over! I really miss you, Reg."

"I miss you too, but I'll be back soon, V. I promise."

The two hugged again and said their goodbyes before Veronica turned and made her way into the castle. Arriving at the Great Hall just in time, she joined Charlie at the Gryffindor table where he had already prepared her a plate of all her favorite things, and Veronica's eyes sparkled as she saw all the sweet treats he had piled high for her. Squealing in delight, she jumped up and down in her seat and clapped her hands giddily, thanking him. She could not wait to dig in.