BOOK TWO: CHAPTER TWO

As Veronica stood on the pitch, her stomach in knots, she repeated the words Charlie had spoken to her a few moments ago. "Just remember, it doesn't matter what happens today. Just go out there and do your best. And more importantly, have fun. There's always next year!" Then he had made his way to the bleachers to watch, even though she had begged him not to. She knew it was unfair; he had been so excited, but she didn't think she could handle it if she embarrassed herself in front of him, and she didn't need the added pressure.

Before she could get too deep in her own thoughts, the Ravenclaw captain, Emily Rosewood, called for everyone's attention. "As we have quite a few people trying out to be Beaters this year, let's start with them."

Of course, that's just her luck. She was hoping to be able to watch a few other tryouts before having to do hers. Maybe this will be a blessing in disguise, let her get it out of the way before she loses her courage and runs off the pitch.

There were eight people trying out for the two Beater positions available. The ravenclaw Beaters had both graduated last year, so the team was in dire need of Beaters, and they were spoiled for choice. Of the eight people, Veronica was the only girl, and she was quite intimidated by the size of some of the other players. This was stupid, she didn't stand a chance. Maybe she should have tried out for Seeker.

Two at a time, they flew into the sky and Bludgers were released for them to use. The team's two Chasers flew back and forth across the pitch and the aspiring Beaters had to try to hit Bludgers at them. The first pair of boys had flown up, but it was immediately obvious that they were not Beater material. While they were tall, they were quite lanky and didn't have much muscle. They could barely lift the Beater's bat, let alone hit a Bludger hard enough to be useful. Emily dismissed them before they even landed back on the ground. The second pair hadn't fared much better. They seemed to be quite tall and strong, but they could barely stay up on their brooms. Emily had even had to fly up and catch one of them after he had used all his strength to hit an incoming Bludger and had been thrown off his broom in the process. Just as Veronica had started to get her hopes up, the third pair took to the skies. While one of them wasn't spectacular, the other, Reggie McAllen, definitely was.

He was a fourth year who towered over most of the other students, and he was almost just as wide as he was tall. He was the ideal Beater, but more importantly, he was good. He was an impeccable flier, and he could hit a Bludger blindfolded and still hit his target and knock them off their broom. He must have been practicing for years, just waiting for the other Beaters to graduate so that he could have his chance. Although, Veronica had watched the Ravenclaw games last year, and while those Beaters were good, she didn't think they were as good as Reggie. The previous captain must not have held tryouts because they already had the positions filled. Veronica didn't think that was very smart, but it is what it is; she would just have to wait and see what Emily decided to do next year.

Emily was quick to congratulate Reggie on his excellent tryout and welcomed him to the team. This left one Beater spot left, and Veronica had one person left to compete with - Archie Smeltt, a third-year that Veronica had frequently seen around the Ravenclaw common room. Unfortunately for her, he was good, and Veronica knew to have any hope of beating him, she would need to be better. She would need to pull out everything Charlie had taught her.

As they flew around the pitch, it was clear that Archie was also doing his best to outshine Veronica. He had stuck to her like glue, making sure she hadn't had a single chance to hit any Bludgers, hitting every one that came their way. Time was running out, and she knew that if she didn't do something impressive soon, she wouldn't stand a chance. But, soon enough, Veronica saw an opportunity and didn't hesitate. A Bludger had been flying at them, and as had been the case all night, Archie had been hovering in front of her, ready to hit it. Then, at the last second, Veronica zoomed forward and ducked under Archie's outstretched arm, speeding past him and turning around to face him. Veronica reveled in the feeling as she watched Archie's face turn from a look of confusion to pure shock as she did something many professional Beaters wouldn't attempt: she hit the Bludger backwards, sending it flying towards Marvin Tuttle, one of the team's Chasers. He hadn't seen it coming, and was sent tumbling to the ground. Without even thinking, Veronica rushed forward and caught him before he could fall too far. She had reacted so quickly that Emily hadn't even had a chance to kick off the ground.

Marvin thanked Veronica as she helped him off her broom, and once they were both back on the ground, Emily was clapping Veronica on the shoulder. "Wow! That was pretty impressive, Singer. You have wicked fast reflexes, and you're a damn good flier. You caught Marvin before I even really realized what had happened. Not to mention you so casually performing a Bludger Backbeat as if it's just another Tuesday. That's bloody impressive. Where'd you learn that? Your parents are Squibs, aren't they?"

Veronica felt her cheeks burn as Emily complimented her, and everyone stared in awe, which only made her blush worse. "Yeah, I am," she admitted. "I had read about the Bludger Backbeat in 'Quidditch Through the Ages,' and I thought I should try it. I knew there was a big chance that I'd screw it up, but I also knew I had to do something to get your attention because Archie was stealing all my limelight." Veronica chuckled as she glanced over at Archie, expecting him to be a good sport about it and laugh along with her. Instead, she was met with the dirtiest glare she's ever seen; even her parents had never looked at her like that.

"Well, that was a big risk you took up there." Emily shook her head in disbelief and clapped Veronica on the back. "But your gamble has definitely paid off. For you to have pulled off something like that after just reading about it in a book, I can't imagine what you'll be able to do after a little bit of training. You'll be unstoppable!" Veronica held her breath as she waited for the words she so badly wanted to hear. "Welcome to the team, Singer."

Charlie had rushed onto the pitch when Veronica caught Marvin, so he had been standing not too far away when Emily told her she was on the team. As soon as those words crossed her lips, Charlie locked eyes with Veronica as she ran over to him and hugged him tightly. "I knew you could do it!" He exclaimed as he spun her around and held her close, inhaling the scent he's come to crave when she isn't around: a beautiful blend of grapefruit and parchment that has come to be associated with her. The butterflies in his stomach have also come to be associated with her.