BOOK FIVE: CHAPTER SIXTEEN

As students of all houses and ages milled about King's Cross station waiting for their parents, Veronica looked around frantically for Reggie. She hadn't had a chance to see him since their last Quidditch game, and she needed to say goodbye. She wouldn't get another chance. Just then, Charlie pointed to something over her shoulder and turning around, she spotted him making his way towards her. Weaving her way through the crowd, she finally reached him, and he pulled her into his arms. "I'm really going to miss you next year, Reg."

"I'm going to miss you too, little one."

"I don't know how I'm going to survive the Quidditch season without you."

"Oh, come on, V. You'll be fine. I know you'll do great leading the team, especially now that Archie is gone. Ravenclaw will be unstoppable."

"Yeah, but you're irreplaceable, and I'm not just talking about as my Beater partner, but as my closest confidant and my right hand man. I'm going to be doing it all alone next year. And I barely did it at all this year."

"Hey, you did great this year. From what I saw, I know you'll lead the team to victory. And anyway, you know I'm only an owl's letter away. If you need me for anything, just send Athena my way. I'll get back to you as soon as I can."

"I know, but you know it's not the same. It's not like having you there with me."

"I know. And I'm going to miss you too. More than you even know. But we'll stay in touch, I promise."

"And you have to come back and visit! Maybe you can even come watch the first game of the season next year."

Reggie chuckled. "I wouldn't miss it for the world."

***

Veronica and Charlie sat on the floor of Bill's room as they watched him pack. It had been only a few hours since they arrived at the Burrow from King's Cross station, but he didn't have much time to waste. Bill had gotten a job as a Curse Breaker for Gringotts in Egypt, and he was expected to report to the Egyptian office in less than two hours. Yet Bill had chosen to do most of his packing the muggle way rather than using magic, and Veronica knew it was because he was dreading having to say goodbye.

However, despite his efforts, the time had come for him to go, and Veronica stood in the living room with the Weasleys as they said their farewells. As Veronica looked around, she felt as if she was intruding on a private family moment, so she began making her way out of the room before Bill called out to her. "Where are you going?"

"Oh, I just wanted to give you all some space to say goodbye as a family. I didn't want to intrude."

"Veronica, when are you going to get it through your thick head? You're part of this family. Now, come here and let me say bye to you."

Veronica quickly hid her face in Bill's chest as the tears rolled down her cheeks. "I'm going to miss you," she whispered.

"I'm going to miss you too, Ronnie."

Pulling away from Bill, he placed a last kiss on her forehead before Charlie walked over and put an arm around her shoulders and pulled her into his side. Together, they all watched as Bill stepped into the Emerald Green flames with his trunk and vanished.

Veronica couldn't even imagine what their next year at Hogwarts would look like without Bill and Reggie, but she knew that as long as she had Charlie with her, she would be okay. They would do it together, and she was excited to see what their sixth year would bring, and now that Archie was gone, she knew she would actually get to enjoy it.