BOOK FIVE: CHAPTER TEN

"I know V, but it's the only option we have."

Veronica looked to the ceiling and closed her eyes, massaging her temples. This couldn't be happening. "You have to be kidding, Reg. You're telling me there was no one else that even came close?" Reggie shook his head. "Ugh! Fine... Do what you have to do, but just know I'm not happy about it. And I can tell you right now, Charlie isn't going to be happy either when he sees him playing in the next game against them."

"Hey, none of us are happy about this, trust me. But anyway, you'll be better before then, and we'll have you back on the team in time to play. He won't see any game time, I promise you that."

"I really wouldn't hold my breath, Reg. Let's face it, okay? Even if I were to get better before the game, I haven't flown or carried a Beater's bat in almost a month. I will be in no shape to play." The disappointment that she felt was written all over Reggie's face. "I'm sorry. I know it's hard to hear, but we have to come to terms with the fact that I may not be able to come back to Quidditch this year. With the way things are going, it's looking less and less likely."

"Veronica, please don't say that."

"I'm sorry, Reg. I know you aren't ecstatic about being the Captain, but–"

"No, no, V. It's fine, I was being a jerk yesterday. I know you're already under a lot of pressure and feeling stressed about everything that's going on, so I shouldn't have argued with you about it. I'll do whatever you need me to do, you know that. I just want you to get better. This is my final year at Hogwarts, and my last chance to play Quidditch with you, but you've spent almost the whole season in the Hospital Wing, and now we have to play with bloody Archie!"