BOOK FIVE: CHAPTER EIGHT

"That's it, darling. Come on, open your eyes for me." Veronica's eyes fluttered before widening as she attempted to sit up quickly. Feeling a pair of hands on her shoulders pushing her back down, she searched around until she made eye contact with the school matron. Madam Pomfrey smiled sweetly at her. "It's alright, sweetheart. Calm down. You're in the Hospital Wing."

As Veronica glanced around, she noticed she and the matron were the only ones in the room. "How did I get here? The last thing I remember is being at Quidditch practice and talking to Reggie."

Madam Pomfrey sat on the edge of the bed and patted the Ravenclaw girl's forehead with a cool, damp cloth, which seemed to do nothing to bring down her temperature. She was still heating up. "You fainted, Miss Singer. Mr. McAllen brought you here only moments ago, but he insisted on going himself to get Mr. Weasley before telling me anything about what happened. I believe he thinks Mr. Weasley has more information on your condition than he does, but I'm sure if he knew you'd wake up so quickly, he wouldn't have left. To be honest, neither of us believed you would awake so soon. It's been less than half an hour since you fainted."

"Oh, well hopefully that's a good sign?"

"I'll need to know more before I can confidently say anything, Miss Singer. Mr. McAllen did state briefly that you had mentioned feeling unwell for the last week. Can you tell me a bit more about that while I perform some tests?"

***

"Hmm, that's very strange. I–"

Before Madam Pomfrey could explain, the Hospital Wing doors flew open and in rushed Charlie, with Reggie and the Headmaster not far behind. The three stopped abruptly when they realized Veronica was awake as they had expected her to still be unconscious.

Charlie was by her side in an instant. Grabbing her face with both hands, he brought his forehead to hers and sighed as he closed his eyes and let the comforting smell of grapefruit and parchment reassure him that she was okay. "You've got to stop doing this to me, Ronnie. I've seen you in this hospital bed far too many times, I don't know how many more I can handle."

Veronica smiled softly as she stroked his cheek. "I know," she whispered. "I'm sorry."

Charlie shook his head before pulling away. Grabbing her hand in his, their fingers intertwined as he pulled her hand up to his lips and placed a kiss on her soft skin. "You don't need to apologize for not feeling well, Ron. You just scared me, that's all."

There was a moment's silence as they stared into each other's eyes before the Headmaster cleared his throat; the pair had completely forgotten there were others in the room. Charlie smirked as Veronica's cheeks instantly turned the color of his hair. Veronica desperately needed to get the attention off herself and onto anyone else, so she turned to Madam Pomfrey. "What were you going to say? What's strange?"

Charlie's smile fell as he also turned to the matron, but there was a hint of fear in his eyes that wasn't in Veronica's. "There's something strange?"

"Well yes, but it isn't what you're thinking. I performed many tests, but they have all come back negative. I haven't found anything that could explain the things that Miss Singer is experiencing." At the concerned looks on everyone's faces, she continued, turning to Veronica. "BUT I would like for you to stay for a few days so that I can do some more tests. It will also give me the chance to witness the confusion and other symptoms myself. That may help me with a diagnosis."

Veronica shook her head adamantly as she attempted to get out of bed. "There's no way. I can't miss any classes; we have our O.W.L's this year, and I need to prepare."

"Are you crazy, Ronnie? You're ill!" Charlie gently pushed her back onto the bed. "Besides, you of all people can afford to miss a few classes. And I promise I'll bring you your homework and take a lot of notes in class for you."

"What about Ancient Runes and Arithmancy? And Divination and Magical Theory! You aren't taking any of those classes, and I can't depend on anyone else to do that for me."

"Wow," Reggie exclaimed. "How many electives are you taking!?! Aren't you also taking Care of Magical Creatures?"

"Yup. The only ones she isn't taking are Muggle Studies and Flying classes, both for obvious reasons. That's probably why we're here to begin with... O.W.L's are hard enough with the seven compulsory and two elective classes we have to take. I can't imagine how stressful it is taking twelve classes. And on top of that being the Quidditch Captain and helping me with Muggle Studies."

"Guys, I'm fine, okay? Really! My classes are great, and the confusion will go away with a good night's sleep. Besides, I'll just be more stressed staying here knowing I'm missing important lessons."

"Miss Singer, I strongly urge you to stay. This could be nothing, but it could also be something serious."

"Madam Pomfrey, please. I can't–"

"Veronica!" Dumbledore finally spoke up for the first time since entering the room. "You will do what is best for your health so that we can get to the bottom of this. As Mr. Weasley said, you can afford to miss a few classes, and he will bring you whatever you need from the classes you share. As for the others, I will personally make sure to find you someone to do the same. Now, Mr. McAllen and Mr. Weasley, say your goodnights and let us leave Miss Singer to get some much needed rest. Goodnight, Miss Singer."

Veronica sighed before flopping back onto the bed. "Goodnight, Headmaster."