BOOK ONE: CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Once Veronica, with the help of Bill and Charlie, had packed all her things into her trunk, they made their way out of the room towards the stairs. It had taken some convincing, but the boys had finally agreed to keep the truth from their parents. She didn't want to burden them with that information, and she didn't want them to take her in out of pity. She also didn't want them looking at her like she was fragile and broken. The boys knew their parents wouldn't ask questions as to why she was always staying with them, so they didn't need to come up with any lies.

Now, as they approached the table with all the redheads, Veronica was beyond nervous. She needed the Weasleys to like her.

"Ah, Veronica!" Arthur had pulled her into a hug before she had even noticed that he had seen her. "It's great to see you again."

"It's great to see you too, Mr. Weasley."

"Arthur–"

"Alright, don't hog her Arthur! Let me meet her!" As Arthur stepped aside, chuckling, she got her first glimpse of Mrs. Weasley, and she knew immediately that she loved her. And the feeling had been instantly mutual. "Veronica dear, it is such a pleasure to finally meet you." Veronica discovered that Mrs. Weasley's hugs were just as motherly as Arthur's were fatherly. She never wanted to let go. "Where are your parents?"

"They couldn't come mum," Charlie interjected quickly. "And she'll be staying with us for the rest of the summer!" Charlie beamed at Veronica as she glared at him. She had wanted to ask them, but Charlie beat her to it. He hadn't even asked, and that was the last thing she wanted: to force herself onto them. Before she could apologize for Charlie's straightforwardness, Mrs. Weasley spoke.

"Wonderful news! We're happy to have you dear."

And with that, Veronica's stress faded away.