chapter 2

When Kiana got home, her mother was sitting on the couch, watching tv and sipping coffee. "Hi, mother.." her voice trailed off. Her mom didn't even turn back to look at her. No point in trying, and Kiana just headed straight to her room. She changed, did her homework, her hygiene, and flopped onto her bed. Long day tomorrow, Kiana thought. Tomorrow was Thursday. So close to Friday, then the weekend. But Kiana didn't have many friends to hang out with on the weekend. She'd be stuck studying. Again.

The next morning, a too cheery girl with dark, extra hair accessories and baggy clothes came up to Kiana. "Oh, Rory. Right. I didn't know you'd be meeting me at the school entrance..." Kiana sighed quietly. She didn't even have time to relax before class started. Rory grinned and put her arm around Kiana, who let out a 'tsk'. "Kiana, I've heard so much about you, class prez. You're so pretty, y'know." Kiana frowned. She expected it, but it was painful to hear. "Oh yeah, the teacher, uhh, Ms. Leslie, she gave me your number!" Kiana stopped. "What?" Rory smiled. "Yeah, she gave me your number! Said you'd be my first friend here!" Typical of Ms. Leslie, but again, hurt to hear. Kiana scowled and went ahead, but had Rory on her tail again. "Rory, why don't you look around? Come to class on time." Rory's smile faded quickly. "Aren't you supposed to show me around?" "Do you really want that?" "Yes."

Another heavy sigh. "Alright." Kiana motioned for Rory to follow her, and she did. "We should get to class first of all." A group came up to Kiana and Rory, blocking their way in the hall. "Oh my god! I love your outfit!" A girl exclaimed, pointing to Rory. Rory grinned and thanked her, and watched the group scurry off. "You're already popular." Kiana muttered. Rory shrugged, "I guess". Kiana led Rory to her seat, handed her some supplies, and went to her own desk. People immediately gathered around Rory, and she saw her get a few numbers. Kiana frowned. Rory would forget about Kiana in a couple days, or less. Nobody important.

After class, Rory hung her arm around Kiana's neck as Kiana exit the classroom. "I have science next." Kiana nodded, looked at her schedule, and told her where to go. "Thanks.." Rory muttered. She was feeling Kiana's hair, which was down. "Your hair's pretty. Soft." Kiana smacked her hand away, but she just draped it over her neck again. "You should go to your next class." Kiana suggested. She wanted Rory away, and now. "Oh, alright. What class do you have?" "Oh. I have history. Bye." Kiana took that chance and sped away.

Tom stopped her right outside her history class. "Hey, Kiana. I have history too." "Such a nice surprise..." mumbled Kiana. Tom smiled, and she hated it. She hated his voice, his eyes, listening to him speak, seeing him. She hated his existence. She adjusted her glasses and cleared her throat. "Let me through, Tom." "Aw, is class pres mad? Did I make you mad? Aww, sowwy." Tom snickered, then said, "Whatcha gonna do about it?" He smacked her glasses to the ground. "You think I'll let you go? You always humiliate me for simple little jokes." Kiana grit her teeth, picked up her glasses, and put them on after wiping them. "Tom, let me-"