Four

tw: This chapter contains scenes of abuse. Read with caution.

"I feel like I look silly." I told him quietly while I stared into the full length mirror of his bedroom and smoothed the fabric out with my palms. "I never wear anything that looks this ornate." The red velvet covered every part it needed to, and only exposed the parts that were bare and clean— due to the charms that helped them appear that way to the naked eye.

The coverage of my dress was also due to the fact that Graham bought everything I owned for me. If it wasn't something sexy that only he could see me in, it was something with a high neckline, dragged the floor by my heels, and had sleeves down to my hands.

"You look endearing, baby." Graham corrected from behind me while he swiftly tied his bow tie. "Another bad word, and I'll have to assume you hate my gift." He said sharply while he looked over at the dress I had on. I shook my head softly to disagree with him, and he seemed pleased with my response.

I was ready for the dinner, but was also beyond not ready. I was absolutely terrified. Not only of appearing perfect for Graham's family, or of pleasing him all evening, but also of facing the one man that had made my life a living Hell for as long as I could remember.

But not attending tonight wasn't an option. The only thing my father cared about more than his alliances with the noseless Lord was how his name appeared in the public eye. Hence why he had to conjure up a deal with the Montague family. Can't have anything leaking out to the public that would disrupt his peaceful waters...

If I didn't focus on all the things that could go wrong, then perhaps the night would pass by quicker than I'd expect. I could slip in, keep my mouth shut like always, and leave with all my bones in tact and my skin still covered in faded yellow and green tints instead of fresh black ones.

"You do know what will happen tonight if you misbehave, hmm?" Graham ripped me from my thoughts as he buttoned his cuffs. I turned away from the mirror in front of me and gave him a curt nod. "Good. Please, don't make me punish you. Then we'll have to go right back to square one of apologizing to each other." His voice was demanding as it spoke. I slowly walked across the room and found one of his arms, sucking in my last and final breath before I entered the deep end...

Did I mention I can't swim, either? That only leaves one option in murky waters of this depth.

You drown.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

My frown was quite obvious. The only smile I had mustered so far was to greet Graham's mother when we walked into the dining room from his bedroom, and the one I had flickered in the direction of Theodore, who winked at me from the beverage cart like he knew better than to give me any more attention than that subtle gesture.

Blaise would have been far away from this entire gathering if it were up to Graham, but unfortunately for him— it wasn't. If you were anyone in the Dark Wizard World, you were at the Montague's Winter Solstice dinner.

A festivity held just before Christmas each year to celebrate the start of the cold and bitter months that these cold and bitter people seemed to thrive in.

The Winter Solstice was the shortest of days, and the longest of nights. The never ending darkness always finds a way to loom and prevail in this atmosphere.

"Rainbow." Narcissa's tender voice beamed from my left.

How ironic that my father nicknamed me Raindrop after the dark weather, and my mother and Narcissa coined a nickname more beautiful.