Thirty

The sky was grey, but the air was warm. The birds were chirping, and Theo was on the edge of his seat with a grin, wand in hand, trying to secretly zap them without Narcissa catching him again for targeting the defenseless creatures. I couldn't hold back the smile on my face as I ran through the soft grass in my bare feet, my short dress blowing in the wind as I ran after another perfect butterfly that darted between the flowers out here.

Tundra chased after my every step, pretending to join the game even if she wasn't sure what we were playing. A blue and black butterfly fluttered its wings towards my nose, making me laugh and duck to avoid it from landing on me. My heart stuttered for a beat, and I realized how carefree everything felt right now.

Not just because I got laid— though, that man took me to the pearly-white gates of heaven, so it's not completely out of the equation.

Since Draco and I had slept together, everything has felt like it was perfect. I couldn't recall the last time my life felt so happy and hopeful. I was higher than cloud nine. Higher than any drug I had tried to find a euphoric escape from through the years. I was blissfully ignorant to the depths of the waters I was slowly dragging myself into— but for now, I'd let myself enjoy this escape from reality.

I twirled around to face the porch, my giggles still filling the air and my long locks of dark hair blowing freely in the wind. My smile hurt my cheeks, and my heart pulled on the invisible string between us and faced me towards the boy that made my life feel like it could be this great one day. It could be this great forever.

His eyes were already on me, just like they always were. His appearance wasn't any more casual than it always was. He was still in his perfect button shirt and slacks, his polished shoes, and a designer watch across his wrist. One hand covered his mouth as he held up his chin and one of his ankles was crossed over his opposite knee. His lips curled up when my gleaming smile found him, but the look didn't meet his eyes. He was still locked into the real world and on his guard, but he'd let me pretend the world was a better place for now— if only to see me play on the grounds of his Manor with a smile this bold.

Draco would do anything for my smile. Especially when he knew it was because of him. And looking at the angel in front of him, he knew that the pits of hell would only drag him in further for admitting such a weakness.

My smile grew as I started walking towards him, memorizing how his eyes bored into mine and made me feel a rush of excitement and panic all at once. His soft grin revealed itself more as he removed his hand and held it out towards me, waiting for me to take it as he lowered his foot to the ground and sat up straight in his chair.

I obliged his request, a blush creeping up my cheeks as I placed my hand in his colder one and let him tug me onto his lap in the chair that sat a few feet from Theodore. He didn't miss a beat as he snaked his arm around my waist and held me sideways over his legs, his lips pressing a delicate kiss to the skin below my ear, and an exhale of contentment escaping him as we breathed each other in.

"I can't wait for Zabini to try and shoot hexes at the two of you for shagging-"

"Nott, piss off." Draco's mood was ruined as he scowled towards the boy that sat to our left. "Don't you have anyone else to annoy?"

"If I did, I don't think I would be spending my day with you, Malfoy. Get off your high horse, you're never my first pick when it comes to company." Theo fired back, but it took everything in him to bite back his sarcastic grin. "If I was a lucky man, I'd have ended up saddled with Goyle as a housemate, and pretty face over here would be perched up on my lap-" Draco's scoffing laugh cut him off as he rolled his gunmetal grey eyes.