Chapter 1

He hated pen clicks. Hated them so much.

It wasn't his classmates clicking pens, it wasn't a family member nor a video he watched nor was it himself clicking pens that annoyed him and in general, pen clicking didn't actually bother him.

But when Park Jisung clicked them, he was out for blood. They didn't even share any damn classes! It was after their ever-so-cheery first encounter that made him feel that way. Their first real encounter that made his inner demon come to full life and yet, all he mainly did was fume to himself.

He'd simply walk down a hallway, pure thoughts in mind and suddenly, clicking that had him grating his teeth together and having a sudden urge to run his nails down a chalkboard. Park Jisung really knew how to push his buttons and the most infuriating part was the fact that never, ever, had Jisung clicked his pen in his presence before until they met. 

Not once.

But the moment they said one word to each other, he somehow developed knowledge of ways to torment the Chinese male and therefore, pen clicking was high on the list of arson-influencing actions.

Walking down halls? Pen clicking. In the bathroom? Pen clicking. Waiting for his ride? Pen clicking. Trying to eat his lunch? That’s right, fucking pen clicking. He didn’t even know how he heard pen clicking during lunch. He was hardly ever there for his midday lunch but when he was, Jisung wasn’t even supposed to be present but he assumed it was just his mind playing tricks and making him auditorily hallucinate.

"So you're telling me you hate him because he didn't apologize or because he clicks his pen too much," Donghyuck, Chenle's friend, asked, staring at Jisung from across the campus as they waited for their rides to take them home.

"I'm telling you I hate him for what he's done, who he is, and what he will potentially do! What kind of person does he think he is?!"

"He seems like the person who has finally accepted you as a match. He seems like the exact person you need to keep you in line."

Chenle was speechless. How could Donghyuck say such a thing?! Didn’t their friendship mean more than that?! But before he could go off on a spiral on why Park Jisung deserved nothing, his ride arrived with Donghyuck's one right behind, which meant they departed with a stunned Chenle.

First, the start of his year went bad due to the stress of entering a new level. Then his once unlimited allowance got stricter because responsibilities or some shit, his present-day was going to the dogs, and now? He had to assume his future days would go to shit if that was anything to look at. 

The only good he had was the fact that his Father had announced to him that he would be in charge of setting up the Spring rally. That was a joy and if his planning for the previous year had meant anything for them to ask him again, he would outdo it that year as well so when he left school, never would they experience such a grand event ever again and always would the Zhong name be looked upon. He could accept that. He’d be a legacy.

And if life would go his way, he'd have the time of his life planning the events for the final two years he had pending before graduation.

So with that in mind, it wasn't without surprise when he was called into the head director's office through the intercom system while in school. Hello? Of course they'd want to see him even in the middle of class. And of course they knew he was there at that hour, they must really like him enough to check his schedule and summon him while in the area.

With an absolutely sincere bow, he excused himself from his class right before a grand test, the professor having no choice but to either postpone it or allow him to do it another day. He adored the fact that 'Daddy's Money' was a major factor in giving him leniency in the university. But he also hated that there were other people in the school using their 'Daddy's Money', and if any of them conspired against him, it'd be a major downfall.

And he should've figured. He really should've figured someone was conspiring against him because he felt his life go in a ninety-degree, major-blowing, life-changing, tear-shedding, coma-inducing, knee-wobbling downfall, but in a way he didn't expect.

"Zhong Chenle, you're in charge of setting up the rally. The difference between now and last year is that someone else is sponsoring, but you'll be making the main decisions," the director stated, the two seated in the office as they talked. "As you know, your Father sponsored last year and in respect to that, the sponsor stated that you will be given the privilege to be the head." 

"I'll make sure to do my best," Chenle promised, ideas coming to mind to make it bigger and grander than ever. It was disappointing that he wouldn't be wasting 'Daddy's Money' but hey, someone else would be giving him their money to waste and it would be acceptable.

"No overspending. Our sponsor isn't going to give money for all your little ideas, Zhong. Just make sure it's presentable enough." 

Day ruined. Chenle frowned at that but nodded. If he needed more money, he'd ask his Father. Simple. He could still waste 'Daddy's Money' on the side if need be. No one could restrict him from his creative planning, and if it took convincing either his parents or the sponsor, he’d do it.

"Who am I working with then?"

He should've known life hated them from the very second he got his response.

His director had refrained from telling who he was working with. He had said that his partner wanted it to be a surprise and the most he could provide was a location. 

That's how Chenle found himself heading up a long driveway, escorted inside like royalty, settled at a large table, provided refreshments, and told he'd wait a total of five minutes. He was content with the hospitality, delighted that he was treated as he thought he deserved but then his happiness was fucking launched into the sky and straight into the damn sun. 

If Chenle could rewind, he would go back to the day he was choosing universities and change the entire course of his life. He would never have chosen to go to the one he was at if it meant stupid Park Jisung was there. Hell, if he didn’t care about money he would choose to be a well-off person incapable of controlling others with money if it meant staying away from Jisung. But he cared about his riches so that wasn’t an option.

And it was so damn infuriating to know that the one person he had come to despise had enough wealth in him to almost rival Chenle. Disgusting. 

He should have denied the privilege of setting up the rally, hand the responsibility over to someone else who was nearly as capable as him in order to avoid working with Jisung. 

That's right, Park Jisung so happened to be the one person he so happened to team up with to create a grand ceremony. And the only reason he hadn't declined even after finding that out was because he knew that he could work it out to get what he wanted and milk out as much money as he wanted to spend if he pestered Jisung enough. 

He'd make it play in his favour.