Chapter 4: The Knight Bus

Harry strode out of 4 Privet Drive to the nearest park at Magnolia Crescent. He sat down on the side walk, thinking on what to do and ruling out the cons of a few plans.

A Russell of leaves snapped Harry out of his wanderings as a huge black paw stuck out of the bushes. He felt a magical presence around... a magical signature. Harry thought as his Magic alerted him. 

Just as about Salazar was going to check the bushes, a huge deafening bang could be heard. He threw his arms to shield his face as the bright light made contact.

A violent purple double decker bus that had 'the Knight Bus' written in golden letters on the windscreen.

Of a split second, Harry thought he had been knocked silly by his fall. Then a conducted in a purple uniform leapt out of the bus and began to speak into the silent night.

"Welcome to the Knight Bus, emergency transport for the stranded witch or wizard. Just stick out you wand had, step on board and we can take you anywhere you want to go. My name is Stan Shunpike, and I will be your conductor this eve-"

The conductor stopped abruptly. He had just caught sight of Harry, who was sitting on the ground.

Harry snatched his wand, trunk and Hedwig's empty cage and stood up to his feet. Close to, he saw that Shunpike was only a few years older than him; eighteen or nineteen at the most, with a large, protruding ears and a fair few pimples.

"What were you doin' down there?" Asked Shunpike, dropping his professional manner.

"Fell over," Said Harry.

"Choo fall over for?" Snickered Shunpike.

"I didn't do it on purpose," grumbled Harry, annoyed. One of the knees in his jeans was torn, and the hand he had thrown out to break his fall was bleeding. He suddenly remembered what happened before, Harry stared at the bushes where the black paw had been.

"Choo lookin' at?" Questioned Shunpike.

"N-nothing," Harry called back, flatting his hair down a little.

"Wows your name?" Shunpike pestered.

"Neville Longbottom." Harry said, saying the first name that popped up in his mind, and it so happened to be his best friend; Godric. Salazar wasn't sure if Neville was Godric, but was sure it was him.

"How much does a trip to London cost?" Harry asked, he still had some galleons and sickles left at the bottom of his trunk.

"Eleven sickles," said Shunpike." For'een for a hot cocoa and Fifteen for a hot water bottle and a toothbrush in the colour of you choice."

Harry rummaged through his trunk to and pulled out a sack with a few wizarding money. He counted eleven silver coins.

Shunpike carried all of Harry's belongings and placed them in the bus as Harry followed behind him.

In the bus, there was no seats, only a few four poster beds. Candles were burning in the brackets beside each bed, illuminating the wood panelled walls. A tiny wizard in a nightcap at the rear of the bus muttered," Not now, thanks, I'm pickling some slugs," and rolled over in his sleep.

"You 'ave this one," Shunpike whispered, shoving Harry's trunk under the bed right beside the driver, who was sitting in an armchair in front of the steering wheel. "This is a driver Ernie Prang. This is Neville Longbottom."

Ernie Prang, and Eldo wizard wearing very thin glasses, nodded to Harry, Who nervously flattened his fringe again and sat down on his bed.

"Take're away Ern." Said Shunpike, sitting down in the armchair next to Ernie's.