Dakota Cole x Reader

trope: friends to lovers, slowburn

Prompt: reader is an empath and is helping Dakota deal with emotions and stuff, when she finds out about his feelings. Setting this in the Winnebago cause i just got there lmao

requested by @-StarrLux

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧

William and Vyncent had left the Winnebago about an hour ago, and rain had set in almost immediately. It wasn't close to a storm, but heavy enough to keep the other Prime Defenders, Dakota Cole and Y/n L/n inside. Droplets hit the windows as a calm silence blanketed the room. The air inside was warm, and almost heavy with drowsiness as Y/n fought to keep awake while she sat at the small convertible table, leafing through a magazine she had picked up at the last gas station. With Williams driving, she hadn't had time to actually read and process anything. Not that it was very much his fault, he was under a lot of stress, but it was a tumultuous condition to try and relax on the road.

She turned a page, beginning to fill out a quiz on some sort of topics like boys, or members of some generic boy band she honestly had started listening to. A perfect quiet filled the room, much too quiet considering Dakota Cole himself was sharing the smaller space. Y/n didn't question the absence of her friend's constant chatter for a second, reasoning he was asleep or listening to music in his bunk.

But like all simple things, this quiet came to an end as she felt a sudden weight flop on top of her. "Bored!" Dakota moaned, sighing heavily. Whatever he had been doing had lost his interest, prompting him to smother the girl as she tried to read. "Bored bored bo-" She tapped at his arm, trying to heave him off of her. "Kota please get off-" He huffed, picking himself up off of her. The red-haired teen sighed dramatically, moving to fall onto his bunk. "I'm so bored!!" He whined as Y/n bookmarked the magazine, pulling herself off of the seat she was at. Crossing the admittedly small space, she hoisted herself onto his bunk, crossing her legs. "What do you want me to do about it?"

He shrugged, falling backward. "I dunno, talk to me? It's too quiet and like- I like that now but it's overwhelming-" She frowned, scooting closer to his frame. See, a fun fact about Y/n was that she had empath-like abilities, and was more attuned to emotions. That's how she didn't get overly upset when William almost crashed the RV, or how she, when he was around at least, connected easily with Ashe, despite not knowing anything about him.

"Overwhelming quiet? How so, red?" Dakota sighed. "I can hear all of my thoughts and it kind of hurts. I dunno." "No no that's good, well ok it's not good how you feel but the fact you can put it to words is good!" He sat up, shifting to sit next to her. He had almost a death glare as he stared at his hands, seemingly trying to burn holes into them. If he had laser eyes, he probably would have. "I don't like how all of this makes me feel I thought-" He sighed, balling up a fist as she nodded along. "I thought nothing would change, that we'd still be the actual Prime Defenders and the hall of elements! And I thought that Tide would still be there and we'd all be as close as always and nothing would be tense and shit but-" She interjected. "You were gone for ten months Dakota, and we had to adapt. I actually pushed for us to stay at the hall but when Vyncent and William left for our old base I didn't want to be alone, and I'm sorry for that. At least I should have stayed and waited."

Y/n pressed her lips together and locked her pinky with his. "I'm sorry, Dakota." Wordlessly he nodded. Quiet filled the room again, broken by the patter of rain against the trailer. Though faintly, Y/n could feel the bubbling up of emotions in her friend. Frustration, confusion mainly. "Do you... want to talk about it?"

"About what?" He looked over at her. "How you're feeling right now? I uh- I can feel it vaguely but it feels better to say it out loud I've noticed." "Oh shit I forgot about that-" She laughed at his reaction, prompting him to join in. The noises of laughter and swearing filled the space, replacing the dense quiet from before.