Gillion Tidestrider x Reader

trope: realizing feelings, fluff

prompt: set during the noxis arc, Gillion cant perform an oversea waltz, his pal the reader helps, and feelings are realized!

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧

Being back in Noxis brought back a slew of emotions. Some good, some bad, and some just... interesting to say the least.

After leaving Allport, the dhampir Y/n didn't expect to find himself back so soon, especially not for the reason the crew had. Leave it to Chip to put himself in a predicament for a bit. Ah well, what can you do when your captain pets the hand of a clearly very bad tiger man, right? It turned out that going back to his home island was what.

A long trek into the city later, the co-captains, Y/n, and their newest reluctant member, a panda man named Gryphon found themselves in an old decrepit mansion of sorts, owned by a lovely tavern owner they had helped out.

Despite his protests and reservations, Chip had dropped off to sleep about an hour ago, Jay and Gryphon following soon after.

Y/n had taken his own room, settling into the warm sheets for the night. Sleep felt just on the horizon for him, consciousness blurred.

Unfortunately, a crash like the shot of a gun rang off, pulling him away from the brink of rest. Y/n groaned as he reluctantly roused himself out of bed, wishing for its comfort. A stabbing cold shot up his spine as he fumbled around for his shoes, tying the laces the best he could in his minorly delirious state.

Y/n crept down the hall, wincing as his footsteps hit the floor. The chime of a grandfather clock signaled midnight as another sound, not quite as loud as the last set off from the kitchen he assumed.

As he arrived at the doorway to the craterous room, he saw a familiar figure. Close in height, with an aquatic appearance, Y/n saw his friend Gillion.

A creak in the floorboards signaled his arrival. Gillion looked up from the island in the center of the victorian room, meeting his eyes. Y/n waved slightly at him as he walked closer.

"Can't sleep?"

He shook his head. He huffed, stretching out his arms. Exhaustion was clear in his features. Y/n crept closer, taking a place next to him. He leaned forward, ready to hear his fish friend's woes.

"I'm stressed about all of this, I mean, Chip got cursed, I finally got reunited with Edyn and we had to leave just as quick-," Y/n patted his back as everything bubbled up. Gillion dragged a hand over his face as he finished. "And now we're going to a ball thing to hopefully, hopefully, cure Chip, and I don't even know any oversea dancing rituals."

Y/n straightened his back before responding.

"Well, I can remedy one of those things, Gill. If you want I can teach you how to waltz at least?"

He perked up, his fins pulling away from his face. Gillion turned to face his friend, stars in his eyes.

"You'd teach me?"

"Yeah, man! I know a good box step from parties here, I'd be honored to teach you."

Y/n grinned brightly as he pulled away from the island. He took Gillion's hand and pulled him away as well.

He went over to the table, seeing a chair on its side. So that's what made that noise, he reasoned as he picked it up. Y/n pushed the table out of the way, wincing at the painful scraping noise it created as he moved it.

The dhampir strode into the center of the room, patiently waiting for his friend. Gillion joined him with an apprehensive look. What if he messed up? What if he failed to learn the dance? It was plainly true he was lacking in dexterity and dancing was mostly that and rhythm.

It was as if he was frozen in place, stuck to the tiled ground, connected like sinew.

Y/n sighed. He walked over and took hold of his hand again, jolting him out of his head.

"Y'all right, Gill?"

"Yeah im-," He sighed and walked closer. "I'm fine. So, how do we start?"

"Well," Y/n stood in front of him. He held up a hand and tentatively placed the other on his friend's waist. "Put your hand on my waist and hold my hand, got it?"

Gillion nodded as he did what he was told. His hands felt cold and calloused against Y/n's, a surprisingly pleasant feeling to him.

"Perfect! Now I'm going to lead you in a simple box step, nothing overly complex! Just follow my lead, Gilly." Y/n said with bravado. Once again Gillion nodded.

The faint ticking of the grandfather clock filled the room in the place of any sort of music. A comfortable lull in the conversation overtook the lads as Y/n led the simple dance to his own melody.

"You're doing great, Gill, keep it up!"

"Oh! Uh-," A light dusting of blue bit at Gillions face as he stumbled, surprised. "Thank you!"

Y/n grinned as they spun around, knocking a laugh out of Gillion. But with the curse of low dexterity...

Gillion stumbled, falling backward. The triton braced for impact, scrunching his eyes shut like a vice.

"Woah there-"

Tentatively, he opened his eyes, meeting his friends. Gillion felt his arm holding him up by the small of his back as Y/n's other hand held his.

A deeper blue coated his face as the two kept eye contact for what felt like hours.

"You ok, Gilly?"

He nodded wordlessly as he helped him back up. His chest was pressed flush with Y/n's as they both froze. Gillion swore he could feel Y/n's heartbeat.

"Mhm!-" He responded, frozen in place.

Y/n quickly let go of him, stumbling back. His cheeks darkened as he stood stiff as a board

"Good, good! Uh-," Y/n crossed the way to the island, tapping at the cold granite. "I think that's all you need to know for tomorrow so uh-," He feigned a yawn, over-exaggerating. It wasn't as if he wanted to leave, he just had a revelation that he needed to process alone. "Save a dance for me, Tidestrider-"

Gillion nodded. Operating like a windup toy, he marched out of the room, making it his mission to conceal the deep blue staining his face.

Hearing his footsteps recede, Y/n held his face in his hands.

The grandfather clock chimed, signaling a new hour in the mansion.

As he made his own way back to his room, he let his mind wander. Thought swirled like a storm in his brain as he closed the door behind him.

Falling with a thud, he kicked off his shoes. The smallest hint of moonlight crept in through the window as he lay on his back. His brain was still hit with the barrage of revelations. Romantic ones.

"...I love him, don't I?"

He spoke aloud to no one. He made a promise to himself to deal with it at a later date. For now, he just had to deal with being back home and the dance.

Similarly, in his own room, Gillion was having similar revelations of his own feelings for his friend.

Both lad's feelings, while recuperated by the other, were a matter for the morning. 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧

word count 1192

hope you enjoy!