Gillion Tidestrider x Reader

Prompt: n/a

trope: comfort (technically?), very self-indulgent

!!spoiler warning for the most recent episodes!!

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧

It was dark.

Much darker than the average person should have been able to see in. However, Gillion wasn't the average person. For starters, he was a triton. And he couldn't sleep, motivated to leave his barrel by a barrage of nightmares.

Y/n couldn't sleep as well.

The swaying of the ship had woken them up, almost falling off the cot they had set up in place of one of the typical hammocks. They were beginning to understand why Jay had tried so desperately to have them use one.

They sat up, swinging off the bed as quietly as they possibly could. Y/n figured they might as well get a very early start if they were already awake.

The walk up the steps was quiet and cautious, a single creak in the floorboards could spell disaster. As much as they loved the crew, a grumpy Gryphon was the last thing they wanted to interact with at that hour.

Pushing up the hatch, the scent of seawater hit their nose. Faint creaks as the ship tried to settle mixed with the gentle lapping of water against the wooden body gave a sense of peace to the night.

As they looked up, they were met with the moon. Big and shining and beautiful, it was like the goddess of the moon herself looked down upon them. A myriad of stars dotted the sky, constellations being pulled from their white forms. Minus the stars and the beautiful moon, the sky was clear, void of any clouds or blemishes that might have disturbed the beautiful night.

Y/n observed this with a wistful smile on their face. They had always liked the nighttime, the quietest time. They walked over to the railing, leaning on it as they stared out over the now-calm sea. It must have been a sudden and spontaneous jolt that had shaken the ship, they reasoned.

Gillion, however, was not having a nice night. He was jolted from sleep at the same time, just not by the ship's movement. No, he was much too accustomed to the movements.

His nightmares had woken him up finally. Images of his sister dying over and over again, only punctuated by images of the crew dying or dead or abandoning him plagued his tired mind. He had tried to fight off sleep, and then fight off the images with no luck.

After a quiet mental battle, he decided to head above deck for fresh air. He was much less careful with his steps in his almost frantic walk to the upper decks. It felt claustrophobic for the triton, the stale air of the cabin seemed to glue his gills shut. All Gillion had on his mind was getting out of the bridge onto the deck.

The beauty and peace of the night were the last thing on his mind as he all but threw open the hatch. He stepped out onto the deck, deeply breathing the salty air of the sea. It soothed his aching lungs almost instantly.

"It's late, Gill"

He froze and turned towards the voice, visibly relaxing as his friend came into his line of sight. He drew a shaky breath and walked over to them, his frame feeling smaller than usual. He almost looked ashamed.

"Yes... I can say the same to you."

Y/n chuckled, shaking their head as they responded.

"The ship rocked and it woke me up. I'm still getting my sea legs."

Gillion seemed to relax more at their quip. He leaned with them against the railing, looking over the open sea. Had they not been there, he would have dived into its inviting embrace, swimming down to the depths for some relief from his terrors.