Prime Defenders x Reader

trope: enemies to friends

tone: hurt and comfort

Prompt: reader is a henchman for a local villain and often finds herself fighting the prime defenders. after a disagreement (well, fight) with her boss, she finds herself on their doorstep.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧

A hiss of pain accompanied by slow footfalls was the only noise filling the vast, dry desert. The sunset, bleeding red as the liquid dripped between her fingers. Sharp, twisting pain wracked her body with every step, eyes growing heavy as she struggled to stay awake. A distant shape alerted her that she was on the right path. A mere ten-minute walk turned into an hour long as she stumbled and fell, tripping over stones and the air in her pursuit of help.

Out of everyone she expected to call upon for help, she hadn't expected the heroes she often clashed with. It was just a stroke of luck that her part-time job as a pizza deliverer led her to find the base one day. Somehow they hadn't recognized her, or it would have been bad for everyone.

A surge of the familiar feeling of adrenaline pushed her forward. Her fist brushed a buzzer as her knees gave out. As her vision bled black, eyes struggling to keep open, a door opened. The last thing she saw was a pair of black converse as consciousness faded away.  

The sky was dark now, dotted with pinpricks of white light as stars took up the sky. Y/n's eyes opened, heavy with exhaustion. Stiff fabric rubbed against her skin as she realized that she was being covered by a white sheet. The room was almost void of color as well, a stark white on the walls and tiles. All she could hear was her own breathing and the distant murmur of conversation outside. 

The sheet shifted as she pulled herself up, hissing in pain as she felt a shooting pain in her side. She held her side, looking down at the freshly bandaged wound. The bandages looked fresh and clean, not stained with blood or anything. Aside from the sudden pain, all of her discomforts came from resting on the hard infirmary bed. 

"Ok..." She muttered, legs swinging over the side of the bed. She had just made it onto the floor, stumbling when the doorknob turned. "Yeah I just don't know-" She swore as she swung back onto the bed as the door opened. Y/n tried to burn holes into her hands as the Prime Defenders entered, clearly in conversation. William cleared his throat, altering the others to her being consciences finally. "Oh you're up-" 

Y/n nodded. "Yeah uh- thanks-" Dakota sped forward, getting up in her face. "How'd you even get here, villain??" Villain, she thought as she remembered she came to the base clad in her usual uniform. Ah, a dead giveaway. "Needed a place to go and all I could think of was here-" "Well you're damn lucky Tide was here to vouch for you, or Vyncent and I would have put your ass in the ground!" He cut her off, glaring her down. "Also, how did you find this place?" William asked.

"Yeah... D.C. ordered pizza here and I literally delivered." Dakota seemed to shrink as Vyncent and William stared him down. "Seriously??" He rubbed the nape of his neck. "What, I was hungry!" Dakota whined as William facepalmed. Vyncent came closer to her, his hands resting on his hips. "Why did you come here of all places?" The half-elf asked.

"...I had a disagreement with my employer. And well- I ended up here, 'cause you guys were the only people I could think of to ask for help." Her voice came out soft. She reached up, untying the mask around her eyes. Y/n let the fabric fall onto her lap as she spoke again. "Guess I don't need this anymore, huh? I know y'alls faces now, and now you know mine." William shrugged, coming closer. "Right so uh- how do we know you won't call for your buddies and have us captured?" 

Y/n sighed. "We work out of- you know that abandoned office tower downtown, the one with the bar connected?" William nodded, making mental notes. "That's where we have our base set up, the top floor is where the boss stays. Now you know I can be trusted." 

A blanket of silence covered the room as the information was processed. Vyncent was the first to speak up. "So... you're just giving up your boss?" She nodded. "He threatened to kill you guys and I didn't want to see that happen so we got into a fight and now I'm here." Whoa, wait, he wants us dead??" Dakota exclaimed, making direct eye contact with her. "If you tell other heroes, then he won't be able to."

"Why are you telling us?" William asked. "Cause despite how we fight all the time, you guys don't deserve to die, and having blood on my hands sucks." She chewed the inside of her cheek as William sighed. "Well shit ok- that's fair." He clasped his hands in front of himself before continuing. "Well, Tide says you can stay as long as you need but he's going to fix up a spare room in the morning since it's-" He checked his watch. "12:52-"

Y/n gave a thumbs up. "Thanks, I really owe y'all one." "You can pay us back with free pizza!" Dakota piped up, grinning. "Well it's more like discounted, but I can definitely do that." He fist-pumped the air, cheering. "Fuck yeah!!!" Vyncent stuck out his hand to her. "Right uh- I'm Vyncent." As she shook his hand, the other two interjected. "I'm William-" "And I'm Dakota Cole!!"

She chuckled at his enthusiasm. "Is that where D.C. comes from?" He nodded vigorously. "Well, good to formally meet y'all. I'm Y/n." Y/n yawned suddenly, stretching her arms. "We'll leave you to sleep. See you in the morning, Y/n." Vyncent said as he ushered the boys out of the room. "Night, and thanks again." She said as the door closed behind them all.

Y/n shuffled down into the bed, exhaustion weighing down her bones like a pound of cement. As she drifted off, she smiled. 

Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all. 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧

word count 1036

hope you enjoy!!