Chapter Nine.

The day after this rather gloomy birthday, their letters and book lists arrived from Hogwarts. (Y/n) had immediately pocketed the badge she found in her letter, looking very briefly mortified. No one, it seemed, expected (Y/n) to keep her prefectship, let alone get promoted to the Head. Harry's letter also included a surprise: He had been made Quidditch Captain.

"That gives you equal status with prefects!" cried Hermione happily. "You can use our special bathroom now and everything!"

"Wow, I remember when Charlie wore one of these," said Ron, examining the badge with glee. "Harry, this is so cool, you're my Captain— if you let me back on the team, I suppose, ha ha..."

"Well, I don't suppose we can put off a trip to Diagon Alley much longer now you've got these," sighed Molly, looking down Ron's booklist. "We'll go on Saturday as long as your father doesn't have to go into work again. I'm not going anywhere without him."

"Mum, d'you honestly think You-Know-Who's going to be hiding behind a bookshelf in Flourish and Blotts?" sniggered Ron.

"Fortescue and Ollivander went on holiday, did they?" said Molly, firing up at once. "If you think security's a laughing matter, you can stay behind and I'll get your things myself—"

"No, I wanna come, I want to see Fred and George's shop!" said Ron hastily.

"Then you just buck up your ideas, young man, before I decide you're too immature to come with us!" said Molly angrily, snatching up her clock, all nine hands of which were still pointing at "mortal peril," and balancing it on top of a pile of just-laundered towels. "And that goes for returning to Hogwarts as well!"
Ron turned to stare incredulously at Harry as his mother hoisted the laundry basket and the teetering clock out of the room.

"Blimey... you can't even make a joke round here anymore..."

(Y/n) drummed her fingers on the counter she was behind. She was bored out of her mind with no company around. Fleur, who had originally Disapparated (Y/n) to her job on her way to Gringotts, had briefly stopped in, but was turned off by just how dark and depressing the entire store was.
(Y/n) glanced up from the counter as the bell on the door rang and in strode Narcissa Malfoy, who (Y/n) greeted with a small wave. Narcissa strode right in and looked in both sections of the shop before returning back to the flowers. She peered through the windows and whipped out her wand, keeping it out of sight from anyone that may have been passing by. (Y/n), mid-drum, stopped moving her hands, looking highly alarmed.

"In the back," Narcissa commanded, nodding (Y/n) towards the door behind the counter. (Y/n) slowly walked backwards and Narcissa followed with one last cautious glance around. "Severus has told me you were appointed as the Head Girl," said Narcissa. (Y/n) opened and closed her mouth, silently wondering who Severus was. "Severus Snape?"

"Oh," (Y/n) nodded. Her Potions professor. "What about it?"

"My boy no longer wants to be a prefect," Narcissa went on.

"What has that got to do with me?" (Y/n) pressed. To (Y/n) that there was something Narcissa wished to reveal but couldn't.

"He has... He has an important task to finish this school year," Narcissa said slowly. "And he normally would have a bit of protection as a prefect but he's lost that now..."

"So...?"

"I ask that you cover for him," Narcissa said. (Y/n)'s eyes narrowed.

"What is in it for me?" (Y/n) questioned. They both looked at the doorway at the sound of the bell of the door ringing.

"Your life," Narcissa whispered, stepping further into the staff room. "And I believe my son's task may be beneficial for you too." (Y/n) reached into her bag and took out her phone before opening it. She leaned out of the staff room, pretending to be on a phone call. She spotted Fred and George inside, looking immediately relieved to see (Y/n) still alive. She held up a finger.