Beam

Park's words had tugged at my heartstrings. But I couldn't respond and just hugged him tightly instead.

But he didn't push me for an answer either and just looked after me patiently for the next two days. He made sure I had my meals and medicine on time. He sponged me down constantly and made sure I had on a fever patch. He got me coconut water when my temperature shot up to cool me down.

He took a leave of absence from classes as he looked after me. He didn't game or even leave my side for a bit. I just saw this other side of Park, something I had heard of from Forth and Lam previously but I never quite believed them. It was my 2nd day of staying there when Park was busy in the kitchen getting me my medicines. Someone knocked on the door and Park told me to answer.

I went to open the door and there stood Nung. She narrowed her eyes when she saw me but then I heard Park's voice and she instantly changed her facial expression.

"Park. What is P Beam doing here?"

"Oh Nung, it's you. Come in. Beam isn't well and I don't trust him to look after himself so he's with me."

"Oh P Beam. I hope you are better now na?"

I nodded my head confused at her change of behavior. Just then I heard Park ask Nung.

"Have you spoken to your dad yet?"

"That's what I came here for. I spoke to them and they refused to change their minds. They still want us to get married. How na? Looks like we have to still go ahead.."

Just then I am not sure if Park noticed but I definitely did. Nung's face completely changed when she heard Park respond, "I knew they wouldn't agree. It's ok Nung. You are right. I shouldn't get married for an obligation. And more so when I have found the one i want to be with. Even if I have to fight my dad on this, I will."

But before Park turned to her, she rearranged her facial expression. She nodded quietly and agreed with him, encouraging him. She turned to me, told me to stay strong and she left. I cocked my head and watched her leave.

"Everything ok Beam?"

"Park. Who exactly is Nung?"

"Huh? I thought I told you before. I wasn't lying or.."

"I trust you. What I meant is, who exactly ie she to your family?"

Park shared that she was the only daughter of one of the major investors in his family business. Since young, they always wanted to marry her off to him. Its something they had decided when both were in lower high school. I nodded my head thoughtfully but didn't say anything.

'She's nice. She's the one who even asked me if I wanted this marriage and said she would speak up for me too."

I nodded my head but didn't say anything. But I had no evidence, only conjectures so I kept them to myself. I turned to look at Park who held out the medicine to me. I smiled at him and accepted it. Park ruffled my hair softly and went to get a jacket for me when I held onto his hand.

"Can you sit here with me?"

Park nodded and sat down next to me, switching on the TV for me. I just leaned on his shoulder and held onto him as we watched a show together. There was no specific reason as to why I wanted him by my side but I knew it was comforting and I wanted that.

And I was also gathering my courage to confess. If it ever came.