Beam

Saturday came and Park got ready to go see his dad. I offered to drive him over. The car ride was silent but comfortable. Before he got out, I promised him that I was right out and if he needed me, to just call.

He nodded and was about to leave when I held onto his hand. "Hmm?"

"Come back safely to me ok?"

Park nodded and smiled, caressing my face softly. I leaned automatically into his touch. With a final pat, Park left to go see his dad.

I drove out and parked opposite the house. I was there for about 2 hours until Park finally came out. But he looked pissed and bleeding. He had bruises to his face. I immediately ran over and grabbed him when he reached the gate.

"Park what happened?! Why are you bleeding?"

"It's fine. Let's just go."

"No. Tell me what happened?! I'm not moving till you tell me. Park please."

"My dad.. he hit me.."

"Why? Because you don't want to marry Nung?"

"Because I'm not straight. He cannot accept it and is even more pissed that I also refuse to marry Nung."

I looked at him for a long while. I knew exactly his struggle but yet, even if he wasn't accepted, he shouldn't be hit like this. I took his hand and turned to go back to the house. Park tried to stop me but I shushed him.

We entered the house.

"Mr Wongkrittiyarat!" I yelled. People came running out from different parts of the house, his mother who was teary eyed, his father who came, face as black as thunder, some helpers and a little girl. I looked briefly at Park who told me it was his niece. He tried to stop me from saying anything but I patted his hand and took it away.

I went over to the little girl and bent down in front of her, "Hey sweetie, I want to speak to your grandpa for a while and it's super big people talk. Will it be ok if you played in the garden with your Uncle Park first?"

"Krub Phi. But who you?" She was a 4 year old cutie who had the most rosiest cheeks I ever seen. I patted her head gently and said I was Uncle Park's friend. She nodded her head at me cheerfully and went to Park who brought her out, but without casting me a final pleading look. I tried to smile at him calmly and sent him out.

I turned to his parents.

"Who the hell do you think you are to come in here demanding to talk to me?! Do you know who I am?!"

"I do. And none of it came from your son. For someone who comes from an insanely rich, well established and connected family, does well in school despite his exterior and very dedicated and loyal to his commitments, he hasn't shared 1 word about himself or his family ever. Everything I know are things I found out on my own whilst being around and with him. And I also know that you aren't a homophobic or forceful man. So why are you being so hard on Park?"

There was absolute silence for a while. No one spoke. Even his mom was stunned. Park's dad wanted to open his mouth but he kept quiet, words failing him.

Just then I got on my knees. I kowtowed in front of his parents. I heard his mom gasp but I kept on.

"I like your son alot. To be honest, when we got to know each other ages ago, I didn't fall for him at first sight. I started falling for him over time for who he was. The uncouth, angry, very very good looking but insanely loyal and dedicated and kind man he is. I cannot help but fall for him. In fact when I knew he was a taken man, I was half hearted to step in his radar. Even when I wavered, he didn't. In fact, he told me he wouldn't cheat even though he isn't marrying for love but obligation. The obligation he held towards you for the word you given your friend and to Nung. But the fact remains both of us like each other. In fact, the only reason we came forth with our feelings is because Nung said she didn't want to force him into marriage. If she still wanted to marry him, I'm telling you, your son would have never ever confessed his feelings and neither would I to you. I never told him how I feel about him. You are the first two people I told. Because to me, the feelings I have for your son, if you asked me to marry him, I will. But for that, I need you and would want you to accept us wholeheartedly too. Family is important to Park and Park is important to me."

There was silence. I cast my head down, my tears threatening to spill. Just then I heard his father speak.

"Nung came to us crying that Park didn't want the marriage. She gave us the impression that Park forced her into the decision of cancelling it. The only reason why we arranged the marriage is because Nung loves him and she used it to her advantage with her father who used it to his and I agreed because he's my major investor. But my son's happiness is still important to me. I can still cancel the marriage. But I cannot accept him being gay. I am not that big hearted. I cannot have him dating you or vice versa. If you tell me, you would step away from him, then I would cancel the marriage. And not force him into another until he himself comes to me about it."

I looked up at Park's father tearily. Just then I heard Park, "Please do not agree to that Beam."

I turned to look at him. My tears came down as I stood up and this time I kowtowed to Park. He gasped.

"If it means he will cancel the marriage and let you have your decision on it, I will step away. Remember I told you to come back to me? You still are, just not the way you and I want you to. But we can't have everything Park. Maybe some day, your dad will accept us but for now, if he is willing to budge this much for you, I am willing to do this much too. Because I love you na. And I will do everything in my means for the one I love."

"Beam, don't you dare..."

I stood up and waiied to him. I turned to his parents, "Please do what you told me. I will stay away from your son."

I waiied and turned to leave. On the way, I ruffled his niece's head gently and smiled at her.

As I walked out, my tears finally came spilling down.