chapter 22

YOU ARE READING
A B U S I N E S S L O V E

Jessie had been uneasy since Cecilia's little set up. She couldn't get it out of her mind. In fact, that's all she could think about. Why did Julian refuse to tell his own sister about them? She had been thinking about it so much, that she was now convinced that he was ashamed of her.

She wasn't worthy of being presented to the 'royal family'.  It had been a while since she hadn't thought of herself as a nerdy freak, but now it was back in full effect. She was persuaded that Julian had noticed how weird she was, and that he had no desire to tell his sister about his weirdo girlfriend. 

"Ehi ragazza! How was your weekend?" said Mariana entering Jessie's office.

"Bad," answered Jessie not even trying to hide her despair.

Mariana taken aback by Jessie's honesty looked at her with concerned eyes. "Why? What happened?"

Jessie proceeded to explain all about the little set up that Cecilia had schemed on Friday night and how Julian had refused to tell his sister about their relationship.

"Did you guys talk it out over the weekend?" asked Mariana not seeing this as big of a deal as Jessie was making it to be.

"No...I pretended I was busy all weekend...which I really am, but you know...We haven't seen each other since."

"You need to talk to him. You can't avoid him forever."

"I know...just...not now."

"Jess, personally, I think you're overthinking this. He'll tell Cecilia when he's ready."

"I'm not," Jessie responded completely sure of herself. "If I had a sister, I would have told her already. A hundred times. Unless I am super ashamed of the person I'm dating and it is not serious at all."

"It doesn't mean anything. You don't know what their relationship is like."

"He has a good relationship with Cecilia. I know it."

"Maybe he doesn't talk about those things with her."

"They obviously do if she keeps setting him up! Stop defending him!" said Jessie now irritated. "It is what it is. We have to stop sticking our heads in the sand."

"You guys have only been dating for a month. Give him some time."

"Precisely. He's not sure about me, that's why he's not telling her. When you're sure about someone, you want to tell the world."

"Should I remind you that you guys have a little arrangement not to tell the world?"

"But we're talking about his sister. Mar, agree to disagree, all right? I know what I know," said Jessie now fully annoyed.

"Don't get mad at me!" said Mariana raising her hands.

"You're trying to defend something that is so obvious. I'm sure deep down even you are wondering what he's doing with a...weirdo like me!"

"What? Absolutely not!" exclaimed Mariana appalled. "I have always told you that Julian and you make the perfect couple, and I said it because I meant it. I have zero difficulty understanding why he chose to date a girl like you!"

Jessie shrugged. Mariana could see that Jessie was stressed out and hurt which she found strange. She couldn't wrap her head around Jessie's blatant insecurity. She wondered how a girl like her that had it all, could be so insecure. It was obvious why Julian had chosen her, and Mariana was shocked that Jessie couldn't see it.