chapter 34

YOU ARE READING
A B U S I N E S S L O V E

Another week had passed and it was now a whole month since Jessie and Julian were over.

Julian was typing away on his laptop, captivated by the email he was composing. His cell phone rang and snapped him out of his concentration. He saw Alexandra's name on the display.

"Hey, I'm just finishing up an email, and I'll be downstairs," he answered.

"No problem! I'm at the grocery store nearby. Do you prefer a rosé or an alfredo sauce?"

"Oh, you don't have to do that; we can eat whatever's already available at my place."

"Don't worry about it, I love cooking for you."

Julian didn't reply anything. He knew she wanted him to demonstrate his appreciation, but he just couldn't fake it.

Alexandra had been treating him like a king, and Julian felt horrible because he couldn't reciprocate her feelings. He didn't love her, she was only meant to be a distraction, but things had taken another turn with Alexandra being completely dedicated to him.

Alexandra wasn't stupid though; she knew that Julian didn't feel about her the same way she felt about him. She could see in his absent look that he still thought about his ex-girlfriend. However, Alexandra had gotten so quickly attached to him that she was willing to be the rebound girl, in hope that someday his feelings for her would grow.

It was 8:30 p.m. As per usual, Jessie was the only one left in her department. She clicked several times the print icon on her laptop screen, yet she didn't hear the printer. Annoyed, she got up to examine it and realized there was no paper left inside. She opened the cupboard under to take out a pack of paper, but she couldn't find any.

"Really?" she said annoyed.

She headed to the reception where she knew Ginetta kept a few packs of paper. She went down the white stairs that led to Ginetta's desk, but stopped right in the middle of her walk, shocked at what was in front of her.

Julian was helping Alexandra put her coat on.

As they had heard someone come in, they both turned around and saw Jessie standing on the stairs looking at them.

Jessie felt like her heart was being slowly ripped apart. She abruptly turned around and left.

"That was weird," said Alexandra, still oblivious to the fact that Jessie was Julian's ex.

They headed outside to his car as Jessie's image haunted Julian's thoughts, despite himself. She was visibly shaken by what she had just saw, but Julian knew better this time then to interpret her reactions as a sign of hope. He still remembered how she completely ignored his attempt to reconnect with her a week ago. He was now convinced that Jessie had probably somewhat loved him, but not nearly enough, not even close to how he loved her. She probably reminisced the good times, but they weren't important enough for her to risk her reputation by being with him, whereas he considered her to be the woman of his life, his future wife. He was just a boyfriend to her, to cut loose once it didn't serve her anymore.

Meanwhile, Jessie had ran back to her office, full-blown crying. She couldn't take the pain anymore. Her bones ached and this sadness was crushing her.

Sick and tired of it all, she impulsively texted Julian.

'I guess your sister was right, I was just your charity case. The least you could do is at least not date other people in front of me. Have a little respect. Anyways, I'm giving in my resignation tomorrow.'