chapter 45

YOU ARE READING
A   B U S I N E S S   L O V E

Jessie read her text messages all the while nervously staring at the road as Julian drove. After almost a year of dating, she hadn't found many faults in him, but reckless driving was certainly one of them. He was the kind of guy who considered red lights to be stop signs at night when no one was around.

As the light at the intersection that he approached turned yellow, instead of slowing down, he accelerated which made Jessie rock. Julian ended up turning on the red light and from his rear-view mirror, he saw that the driver behind him had also turned the intersection.

"He turned on the red. He's wild," said Julian while looking at the rear-view mirror. 

Jessie looked at him flabbergasted. "You're wild!"

"I turned on the yellow," he said looking at her in an innocent and confused way.

Her eyes grew wide. "No, it was red!"

"Hmm...no I don't think so."

"Yeah, well I saw that. You turned on the red."

"Ok, sorry officer."

"Mother of pearl!" she suddenly exclaimed with complete excitement. "Sofia is inviting me to go with her to the Bruno Mars' concert! She's inviting me! I thought she'd go with her friends, but she's inviting me to go to a concert with her! How amazing is that! Maybe she really likes me!" she said grinning.

Julian was confused at her excitement and looked at her in a quizzical way. "I thought Sofia was your friend..."

"Can you watch the road instead of looking at me weirdly?"

"Are you gonna go?" he asked.

"Of course, I'm gonna go!"

"I know a guy there that can get you VIP tickets."

Jessie's eyes lit up. "Really!? That's awesome!" She paused and then added, "My life is going too well right now. It's suspicious. Something bad is gonna happen."

Julian didn't pay attention to her comment. He entered the underground parking space and parked his car in one of his reserved spots. As he looked around, he quickly noticed his mother's car.

"Well," he said. "My mom's inside."

"You're what?" immediately replied Jessie in a panic, hoping she had heard wrong.

"Mother? Mom. Mamma."

She was completely shocked. "How do you know?"

"That's her car," he said pointing to the red Maserati. 

She looked at him bug-eyed. "You invited her without telling me?"

"No. I didn't. But my dad probably told her about the meeting the other day..."

"Great. Just great! I knew that something bad was just around the corner," she said while throwing her hands in the air.

"How is meeting my mom something bad?" he said narrowing his eyebrows.

"I wasn't prepared for this! I haven't prepared my speech. I don't look great! I would have done something with my hair if I knew I was meeting your mother today. Heck, I would have dressed better. I will make a terrible first impression and she'll hate me forever!"

Julian found her both ridiculous and cute. "Don't worry, Jess. It'll be fine."

She was not convinced at all. "If she's anything like Cecilia, no, it won't be fine. I can promise you that."