chapter 42

YOU ARE READING
A B U S I N E S S L O V E

Julian was chewing a gum with his hands in his dress pants pockets while repeatedly leaning over the ring showcase to take a closer look at the choices.

"Is she more diamond or gold?" asked the vendor.

"I'm not sure," Julian answered. 

"How can you not know anything?" asked Anthony, annoyed that Julian wasn't giving any direction to the jeweler.

Julian shrugged with his hands still in his pockets. "She never lets me buy her anything and she always wears the same jewelry."

"Ok!" said the jeweler with some hope in his eyes. "What type of jewelry does she typically wear?"

"Gold. Very simple and subtle."

"Excellent! So perhaps we should go with a more delicate look, like these ones with a fine gold ring band."

Julian looked at the rings the jeweler was proposing.

"I don't like it," he said.

Anthony sighed. "It's not about you. It's about her," he said.

Julian ignored him. "I want it to be visible and obvious."

Anthony knew exactly why Julian had that criteria. "If she wears it on the right finger, it doesn't need to be big. Everyone will know she's not available," said Anthony.

"Don't care. I want the kind of ring that will blind my enemies. I want it to be obvious that she's mine."

Anthony raised his hands to the ceiling and rolled his eyes. They had been in the private jewelry store forever and Julian had no clue what type of engagement ring he wanted to buy for Jessie.

Suddenly, the jeweler had an idea. "Maybe you'd like something that is both bold and simple! I have the perfect ring!"

Julian looked at him intrigued. The jeweler went to the back of the store, where he kept his most expensive rings that he didn't expose in the showroom, even though his clientele were all wealthy people.

He came back with a ring that had a thin rose gold band with diamonds all over it, which made it shine extremely bright; the ring emitted light in large amounts with the slightest move. It was mesmerizing to the eye. An oval medium size diamond rock that shone just as bright was on top of the band. The ring wasn't too big, but the incredible brilliance made it extremely visible and impossible to miss.

Julian's eyes illuminated when he saw it. "That's the one," he said confidently.

He could definitely picture that ring on Jessie's finger. 

"This is a beautiful six-carat diamond ring with an 18K rose gold band. It's worth $130,000," said the vendor.

Anthony subtly widened his eyes while Julian coughed. He had the money, but was he really gonna spend 130K on a ring for Jessie? His whole being was telling him; yes, absolutely. The moon and the stars if that's what it took to make her happy.

"What do you think?" he still asked Anthony even though his decision was already made.

"I mean..." Anthony hesitated. "It's a beautiful ring for sure. But what if she doesn't like it? You're gonna spend 130K on a ring that she might not like."

"Why wouldn't she like it?"

Anthony looked at him in an obvious way. "You just said that she only wears subtle jewels!"

"But once she's married to me, maybe her preferences will eventually start to change."

Anthony raised his hands. "If you say so!"