1

Remembering

You’d never forgotten your first day at The School for Good and Evil. As a princess, it was no surprise when the Stymph dropped you on the lawn in front of the School for Good. Your parents had regaled you with countless stories of their time at the school, yet you were still in shock at its beauty when you laid eyes on the castle that would be your home for the next four years.

Your least favorite part of the whole day might’ve been the welcoming ceremony, you’d zoned out everything the headmaster said and focused solely on the faces around you.

You were only fifteen when you arrived, a year younger than all the other first years, yet you didn’t let that affect your performance. You’d never failed a class in your four years at school and somehow managed to graduate top of your year,  which wasn’t an easy feat.

Still a teen, you decided to spend a few years exploring. Looking for something or even someone who piqued your interest. During those 6 years, you’d learned many things about yourself,  but you hadn’t found anything or anyone that kept your interest for more than a few seconds.

So when you received a letter requesting your presence at The School for Good and Evil, you had no reason to reject it. With nothing tying you to your quest for love and adventure, you’d accepted their request. You took a few days to tie up loose ends before leaving.

Stepping through the shimmering portal, you weren’t sure what to expect on the other side. Luckily, this time, your entrance was far more ceremonious than all those years ago. A few of the patrolling fairies quickly made their way over to you.

“Dean Dovey is awaiting your presence in her office.” Dovey, that name sounded awfully familiar, yet you couldn’t quite place where you knew it from.

You followed the fairies down the familiar hallways to the Dean’s office. You knocked on the heavy oak door and waited. “Come in.” The voice was muffled, but the words were still clear.

You pushed open the door and walked in. It didn’t take long for you to find Dean Dovey, even in a room bathed in light; she shined twice as bright as everything else. It wasn’t just the powder blue dress that she wore or the intricate braiding of her hair. It was her, there was something so beautiful about her. You suddenly felt underdressed in your yellow sundress and flats. But to Clarissa, you were the most beautiful thing she'd laid eyes on in a long time.

“Y/n, it’s great to meet you. I’m Clarissa Dovey, Dean of the School for Good,” she reached her hand out to shake yours as she spoke.

“Hi,” you were still awestruck.

“Sit,” she instructed. “I have a proposition for you.” There wasn’t anything she asked of you that you wouldn’t do save killing someone. Okay, maybe there were a few more things you wouldn't do.

“As you may know, Lady Lesso and I are merging the schools. We were working out the details over the vacation when we realized that we may need a new staff member to teach Grey Magic. It’s our only class that’d be a mixture of both Evers and Nevers.” Truthfully, you were confused; you had no idea where she was going with this.

“And how do I fit into all of that?” You asked her.

“We thought we might offer you the position. We know it’s a late notice with the new school year only a week away. But we hoped you’d agree.”

“I’ve never taught before. I have no experience with children, let alone teenagers.”

“I know this. But your record is impeccable, and you excelled in your classes here as a student. We’d allow you a term to have us both help you with your lesson plans and whatever else you may need help with. We both think you’d be a great fit here.”

You’d never thought about teaching before. Always too busy, trying to find your story. Maybe this is where you were meant to be.

“Okay,” you agreed. The smile that broke out on the Dean’s face was a sight you’d never forget. It warmed you to know that you were the cause of her happiness.

“Leonora and I’ll give you two days to retrieve your stuff and move into your quarters. We’ll have lunch in three days to discuss the logistics of your hiring. Thank you so much.” You didn’t know it, but Clarissa was excited to get to spend more time with you.

///

A/n
The first chapter is done. Based on the response to this chapter, I'll decide if I'm continuing the story.

It's a work in progress.

All mistakes are my own.

If you liked this chapter, please leave a vote. Thanks.

Enjoy your day.