11

Surprise Surprise

Even as you sat between your girlfriends; periodically spooning oatmeal into your mouth and talking about the plans for the day, you felt eyes on you. Students and teachers alike. You couldn't help but think that everyone knew what occurred amongst you and the deans and was silently judging you.

You hadn't realized it, but you'd zoned out of the conversation and were now giving your undivided attention to anyone in the room that glance had lingered on you for more than a few seconds. It wasn't until Leonora's ice-cold hand touched your bare shoulder that you were shocked out of your thoughts.

"What's wrong?" Dovey questioned.

"They're looking at us."

"You know what will make them look even more?" Leonora questioned as she tucked a few strands of hair behind your ear.

"Stop." There was now a prominent flush across your cheeks. "We agreed, no public displays of affection until we talk to the teaching staff."

"Y/n, calm down. They can look all they want, but no one is none the wiser of our relationship. Everything is going to be okay." Clarissa's words did little to calm your growing nerves.

"I have to go." You didn't give eirther of the women a chance to respond before you'd gotten out of your seat and scurried out of the canteen.

You honestly had no idea where you were going; you just knew that you had to put some distance between yourself and the deans. Nothing made sense. One moment, you were enjoying your breakfast with the women and thinking of your date that night, and the next, you were hustling out of the canteen without even explaining why.

Clarissa and Leonora didn't bother following behind you. Both women understood that you needed your space to work through whatever it was flooding your thoughts. Eventhough they knew you needed the space and time, that didn't make it any easier for them to not follow you, and comfort you and reassure you that whatever you were thinking was wrong is most definitely not.

While they continued their breakfast in silence, you'd made your way outside. You'd walked and walked until you found yourself standing on the Good Shore, a few paces away from the lake.

It reminded you of home, your palace was near the waters edge, and you made daily visits to the sea.

After a few minutes, you started to feel better. The sound of the water lapping against the shore was soothing and the open air refreshing.

Your thoughts strayed to your girlfriends and the date they'd planned for tonight. No matter your concerns, you couldn't deny the excitement that coursed through you at the thought of spending more time with the women.

Seconds away from returning, you heard a noise. A crash. Loud and nearby. You couldn't tell the exact location; but you trusted your instincts and found yourself walking in the direction where the sound came from.

As you followed the pathway around the lake, you came across the source of the crash.

It was two girls. They appeared to be no older than 16.  They had their backs turned to you and were arguing.

"Excuse me?" You called out to the girls, making your presence known.

Their heads snapped in your direction.

"I heard a noise and thought someone might be in trouble."

"We are fine, thank you," the shorter of the girls replied.

"No, we are not," the other girl said. "Can you please show us the way to the School for Good?"

"I can do you one better." You smirked. "I can take you there myself. I was just heading back."

The girls wasted no time before they followed after you.

"Are you a student there?" The taller of the two asked.

"No. I'm a teacher," you answered. "I'm Professor Y/n, I teach Grey Magic."

"I don't remember you." So they were students, after all. "I'm Agatha, and she's Sophie," Agatha pointed at the short blonde beside her.

"Are you returning students?" You asked the girls.

"Something like that," Sophie answered.

You waited on some sort of explanation to the girl's statement, but they remained silent. It was clear that they were hiding something, but you'd decided not to press further. Instead, you focused on guiding them back to the School for Good.

The further you walked, the girls seemed to relax slightly. Agatha started talking about their time at the School for Good, while Sophie listened, occasionally adding something or correcting what Agatha said. They seemed like normal students.

A/N
Hey,
this update has been in my drafts for a while. I wasn't sure if I should publish it.
I have a few chapters that I'm working on and should be able to publish soon-ish.

All errors are my own.

I hope everyone enjoyed this chapter. If there is anything you'd like to see in the upcoming chapters, let me know.